DVD software with surround support

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sven945, Sep 2, 2006.

1. sven945 macrumors newbie

I've got myself an iBook G4 and I've got it hooked up to my 5.1 speakers through a Hercules USB surround sound card. I can get VLC to play DVDs in full 5.1 surround, but the DVD Player software shipped with OSX only supports stereo output.

I've tried searching for other DVD software that supports 5.1 output (VLC is ok, but there are little things about its DVD playing that annoys me) with no joy. Has anybody got any recomendations? Or is there an update for DVD Player that I've been unable to find?

jack

2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I play DVDs in 5.1 via the optical output in the back of my PowerMac G5 with DVD player, you should be fine.

3. sven945 thread starter macrumors newbie

There certainly isn't 5.1 output from DVD Player on my iBook! The normal output from the iBook is only stereo, so presumably they haven't included 5.1 support in the DVD Player supplied with an iBook. I've tried looking in all the options and there is nothing. No mention in the help (not even saying that it doesn't support surround).

jack

4. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Try this go to system prefs>Sound>Output>(Whatever your USB card is)

Then:
    Go to Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup>Audio Output>Change the Source to your card>Then change from 2ch 16bit to I'm guessing 5 or 6 channel

Then I think you can go from there.

5. sven945 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got that all selected, but there is still only stereo output from DVD Player. VLC works with correct 5.1 output with all that selected though. I also appear to have the latest version of DVD Player (4.6.5).

jack