DVD software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Solafaa, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I am very happy with mac and i love them and enjoy them, the only problem i have is that when i travel i love to watch DVD's, i rent and buy some and i cant watch them due to reigon codes. I tryed using VLC but it dose not play all DVD's, it play some others it dose not. Is there any other software i could use that is reigon free? i dont mind paying for one since i use the feature a lot.

Thanks

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I don't know if this will work, but maybe you should try ripping the DVDs that don't work. I like Handbrake for ripping DVDs into smaller mpg4 files.

3. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Well i have a DVD ripping software but i am looking for something that allows me to play them just like DVD player that comes with the mac. I have no idea what to do, i always travel with DVD's i always watch them its kinda an important issue but i have no idea what to do.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

You should be able to change the region code for your DVD 5 times before it becomes "locked." Have you already done this? If so, this site may have a solution, although it comes with many disclaimers (including you may end up needing to purchase a new drive).

It also has a utility to tell you how many region switches you have left.

5. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I have used about 3 out of 5 times, i dotn want to use more, i would like a program like VLC something that will not destroy my drive or anything else.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

VLC is the only Mac software I've seen that does what you want, but it sounds like it's been somewhat unreliable for you. Apparently sourceforge.net is coming out with a revised MediaPlayer OSX that will play DVDs, but that seems to be a bit in the future.

7. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

The only sure fire solution I can think of, without going into warranty voiding hacks, is to use a backup app like MacTheRipper to strip the region code and then watch the resulting Video TS file. It'll be exactly the same, just adds a very annoying 15 minutes to the process.

Not great I know.