DVD stuck in my MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alexf, Oct 28, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

alexf

Hi Everyone,

I would greatly appreciate any help / advice with the following issue if possible:

I little while ago my wife inserted a (new, non-damaged) DVD into her 2007 MacBook and since then we have not been able to get it out. I have read through forums, etc. and tried everything short of a physical operation (which I began until I realized just how many screws I had to unscrew just to get the case off). The key combinations at start up, etc. do not help...

Is it time to open it up myself / take it to the shop, or is there something less extreme that I can do?

And why on earth did Apple do away with the "paperclip hole" for just this purpose on previous models?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

Try holding down the mouse button on startup.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Thanks, but I've already tried that to no avail.

4. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If the drive does not eject discs using the F12 or eject key on the keyboard.

If the disc will not eject try dragging the disc icon to the trash.

If the disc will still not eject, holding down the trackpad or mouse button after restarting the computer should also eject a disc.

If the disc continues not to eject, reset the Power Manager (PMU) or System Management Controller (SMC) and try steps 1-4 again.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2801

5. macrumors 65816

logana

It could be a couple of things - most likely is the letterbox inside the casing is squashed and it is not able to eject

Does the disk show on the desktop ?

Can you hear any noises that sound like the MacBook is trying to eject the disk ?

6. macrumors 6502

I had a cd stuck in my optical drive before and couldn't get it out no matter what I tried. So I decided to take apart my MacBook (OG MacBook) and open up the optical drive. Once you remove the optical drive, it's very easy to open and take the cd out. I did have a little trouble when I was putting everything back together trying to make sure that the optical drive is properly aligned. I used iFixit: The free repair manual to help guide me along the way. Be careful though, you could mess up or break the MacBook. You could also try taking it to the Apple Store. My friend had the same issue with his MBP so he took it to the Apple Store on 5th Ave in NY at 3am and they removed the cd for free. His warranty was expired. Force Eject a Stuck CD or DVD - Mac Guides Good luck!

7. macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I inserted a business card, and the DVD popped right out. I learnt about that trick here on MR, I believe.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have tried everything that you suggested short of opening the optical drive, so I guess this is the next step...

9. tug
    macrumors 6502

you could try this first, while holding you mac with the disc slot pointing to the floor, hold the eject button and gently rock the mac up and down. :eek:

i know this sounds crazy, but it worked for me and a couple of my friends too. ;)

10. macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Bummer....I have had success holding down the eject button as I power down the computer, and the disc pops right out. I would at least give that a shot before taking the computer apart.

Good luck!

11. macrumors 68030

This works if the reason the disc is stuck is because it came off the spindle inside the drive. If the frame is bent so that it is obstructing the slot, then the only way to get the disc out will be to take apart the computer, get the drive out of the slot, boot the computer and eject the disc while it's pointed above the frame. If something is wrong with the optical drive itself, you're probably screwed.

12. macrumors 65816

logana

Yes - we need to know whether the dvd is showing on the desktop or not....

If not the optical drive is probably toast (as iThinkergoiMac suggests)

If it is showing on the desktop then it it probably a physical problem...

Amy noises ?????

13. macrumors newbie

Thanks

Who Ever said to hold down the mouse button or who ever said to hold the eject button on start up, it worked....I couldn't access my cd for about 5 days and my mac kept making weird sounds but I don't know which one worked because I did both on start up:)
    Thanks again
    -Brian

14. macrumors newbie

It worked

Thanks TUG. The disk came right out!!!:)

15. macrumors newbie

Thanks Tug!!!

I tried your way after all else failed and it worked, so thanks!!!:):):):D:D:D:D:apple:

16. macrumors newbie

Business Card

I tried everything to get a stuck DVD out but to no avail. Can't believe this business card trick worked - I just wiggled it around a bit as the DVD was trying to eject and it came out! Thank you!!!

17. macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

You're welcome -- I played it forward :)

18. macrumors newbie

ForcEject Tool

Theres a simple Utility I created to remove discs that are stuck inside a SuperDrive. Try taking a look:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/49129/forceject-too

It sits in the menu bar. If you're still having issues, then it could be a hardware fault. Anyway, I hope this works.