DVD stuck!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flyaway, Aug 27, 2006.

1. flyaway macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2006
    HELP! I somehow managed to get a DVD stuck in my Macbook's drive, and nothing will get it out! It's making the most awful noises, I think it's still trying to read it but can't. I am pretty sure it was a normal-sized disc, I got it on my travels (one of those DVDs you buy when you go on an activity you can't bring your camera on). But when I inserted it in, it just felt wrong. Thicker, somehow? I ignored my instincts and inserted it in anyway. What a mess.

My Macbook won't stop trying to read the disc and making horrible noises and I am near tears. Argh!

Edit: (I've tried all the stuff in the Mac help, including the paper clip and NOTHING WORKS.)
  2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    you have tried to hold down the mouse button after you restart the machine?
  3. teckisnow macrumors newbie

Aug 20, 2006
    i personaly have trid this and it workd for me.

get the cardboard from a pack of batteries
    insert a corner into the dvd player until it comes into contact with the disc, insert it a little bit more and then twist the cardboard, this would stop the spinning disc and force the player to spit the disc out.
  4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    Sounds like perhaps it had a homemade label on it that wasn't very friendly.

If nothing else, drop by your local Apple Store and see what they can do for you.
  5. flyaway thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2006
    Thanks so so so so so very much, teckisnow, that trick worked! Now to see if the drive still works after all that noise...

(Yup I did try restarting and holding the mouse button, eva01, unfortunately it didn't work.)

Any idea why the DVD caused that to happen? I put it up against another DVD I had to compare their sizes, and it's a standard size. But, like I said, the resistance as I was pushing it in felt very slightly different. I'd really like to know if there's any way I can tell what won't work so as to avoid giving myself any more heart attacks.

Edit: realityisterror: Actually, the DVD does have a homemade label. Well, it's a sticker with the company's logo and stuff on it. But why would that cause the whole thing to jam up like that?

Guess I'll have to watch my skydiving video on someone else's computer...
  6. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    If holding the mouse button at startup didn't spit it out, it was physically stuck. That trick would force it out no matter what software problems there were.

As to why it got stuck, it is likely that the label was the culprit, making it ever so slightly thicker than expected. Since you know how to get it back out now, you could try again and see if the disc is the culprit or if it was a one in a million error.
  7. teckisnow macrumors newbie

Aug 20, 2006
    slot loading DVDs are a fickle bunch

your welcome :) glad to be of help
    slot loading has a known problem with disc thickness and stuff that youu put on it.
    that y most notebooks out there use the traditional cd/dvd readers which has a pinhole to physiically release the catch.
    in the design of all mac notebooks, they were traditionally steered away from looking like another PC notebook clone thus slot loading. essentially it is more of a design thingy so there will be that occasional stuck dvd again! :rolleyes: but now that you know how to get it out again (no worries about spoiling the player, it won't) and if you use a wireless mouse, kb, it makes sense to have a pack of batteries with you! :D now you have even more reasons ;)
  8. Carrie1234567 macrumors newbie

Mar 3, 2007
    Thank you! Thank you!

My Macbook had a serious jam too so I was freaking out. I put a CD in that had a homemade label. My computer spun the CD then started making these awful scraping noises until it ground to a halt. Then it attempted to eject the CD over and over again all the while making this awful grinding noise.

I googled the problem to figure out what to do and I found your post suggesting I use the carboard from a pack of batteries. I really didn't think this would work because i was convinced the label had peeled off in the heat and permanently jammed itself in my drive. So I farted around for a while with a piece of thin cardboard. I could not distinguish the drive parts from the CD and there didn't seem to be anything i could slip the carboard under. The cardboard was also bending and getting all dinged up. So I gave up on that and got out my driver's liscence. I shoved it in and waited for my computer to try ejecting the CD again and to my absolute shock it worked! The CD came out perfectly intact.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for that brilliant suggestion. I was sure my computer was completely f**ked. I'm so happy that I got that CD out. You've saved me hundreds of dollars in repair costs. I would never have thought to do that.

Just some humble refinements to your suggestion, I found the driver's liscense easier because it was clean and rigid so i could poke around a bit more. It also doesn't have the raised numbers like a credit card. (I tried my credit card and it wasn't working.) Also, I found i had to shove it in to the side of the drive closest to the mouse button and just hold it there. I couldn't get it in on the side closest to the screen, nor could I insert it near the center of the slot. The only other thing that helped me was waiting for the computer to try ejecting the CD itself. When i pushed the eject button using this technique it didn't work. It only popped out when my computer did the ejecting on it's own.

I hope no one else has to go through this! PLEASE don't put CDs or DVDs with homemade labels in your computer!
  9. netdog macrumors 603

Feb 6, 2006
    My MB does this regularly now. Have to take it in.
  10. macbr macrumors newbie

Mar 15, 2007
    Another HINT !!!

My DVD stuck , I FIND NEW WAY TO REMOVE DVD. Method above work for me one time, but now i try another one. See steps:
    1) Remove your battery
    2)Hold down botton to try force eject
    3) Place any card to hold and after three times, dvd try eject, but if not dvd pull out
    4) When dvd try read 3 times, will try force eject, take off energy power cord at eject and BEFORE DVD is loaded again. You need take off energy at a moment dvd try eject, to set dvd free to drag with any hard paper, card ou battery pack. I did it and remove jusk shake macbook pro up and down.
    Can u underestand my hint ?
    Good luck
  11. gkarris macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    One of our PowerBooks at church has a stuck disc, but no spinning. Would this work? Bad drive?
  12. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

Sep 17, 2005
    You make my head hurt, A LOT!

The answer to your last question, "Can you underestand my hint?" is umm..... No! ;) but anything that involves shaking my MBP up and down, i'm gonna stay away from! :D
  13. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

May 19, 2005
    Escape from New England
    I have nothing to say about MB's CD drives, but my 3-year old stuck 3 (three) DVD's into an original slot-load iMac's drive once. Well, twice, actually. In those cases is was necessary to disassemble the entire computer to physically remove the offending discs.
  14. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Aug 6, 2006
    Birmingham, UK
  15. aj98 macrumors member

Nov 16, 2006
    CDs/DVDs must be nearly perfectly balanced, else they'll wobble when they spin. The paper could have had enought weight difference to throw the disk out of balance, so it actually makes contact with parts inside the drive unit (thus the "horrible" noise)
    (have you ever tried to balance a ceiling fan? Same principle, much higher RPM)

Slot loaders have very close tolerances; it's possible the thickness of the label went a bit too far, or, the paper was too slick, and the rollers that take in/eject the disk could not get a good grip.
  16. mikal231 macrumors newbie

Nov 21, 2008
    i have a normal DVD stuck in my macbook...
    tried all these tips... none worked... gettin annoyed...
    any suggestions?? please....
  17. grandmachar2002 macrumors member

May 17, 2008
  18. mikal231 macrumors newbie

Nov 21, 2008
    sounds far too complicated and dangerous....lol
  19. siz macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2007
    I Had Teh Same Peoblem

:apple::apple::apple:Your MacBook frame is bent , you need to take it to a Apple Store.:apple::apple::apple:
  20. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2008
    one more option before taking it for repairs.

I've had similar problems in the past. It wasn't "Stuck" so much as it didn't seem to detect the disk. You might want to try:

Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility.

When you open Disk utility on the left side will show all the current drives, including your disk drives. If you click on the disk drive (even if there is something in there but it hasn't recognised it), then click "eject" form the top of the manager.