DVD Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by extremo, Apr 20, 2005.

1. extremo macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about buying DVDSP4, but I have a couple of questions...

Does it let you burn to an external firewire drive? (I recently bought a lacie external 16x)

Can you make dual layer disks?

And im kinda confused on the whole H.264 concept. On apples website it says you can store HD content on current dvd media using H.264. If this is possible, what is the whole thing with blu-ray.

Thanks!

2. rock6079 macrumors 6502

i believe so...
    this im not sure... can ur burenr burn dual layer discs ? regardless im not sure if it is supported.. though they just released the new version at NAB and i havent gotten a change to look it over.. check out
    dvdstudio pro info at apple.com

3. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I don't know for sure but I doubt it. Apple wouldn't include dual layer disc support if none of their computers have dual layer dvd burners. The only way I see Apple including dual layer support is if they were going to include dual layer burners in the new Powermacs.

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

The DVD Studio Pro 3.0.2 update added the ability to burn Dual Layer supposedly. I haven't been able to test myself but that is what I ahve heard.

H.264 does allow you to store HD on a DVD but requires a lot of processing power to do so (ie. G5 only)

Blu-Ray would requre much less power.

5. cpjakes macrumors 6502

While you may not be able to burn dual layer discs, you can create them. This requires you to build the disc on the hard drive and burn it through Toast or another burning software that will allow you to burn dual layer discs. Otherwise, you have to send it to a tape drive and have it made elsewhere.

With the apparent dual layer capability in the next round of PowerMac revisions, you can almost count on support for it.

cpjakes

6. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

You can create Dual Layer disks with Version 3 of DVD Studio Pro as some one pointed out earlier. As long as the burner is compatible (ie; dual layer) you can burn away quite happily.