dvd to avi

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alexshields, Aug 19, 2003.

1. alexshields macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2003
    First is avi the best
    format for cd-rs? is mpg higher quality? which one should I focus on? my general experience is telling me to stay with the avi format. also is there a software program out there besides QT pro that will split the avi in two for recording purposes...I have a avi file just over 700 and will not fit on a single disk with toast.

what do you folks think of fourty-two?

thanks to any and all.

2. frescies macrumors regular

Dec 9, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    forty two vx.. or whatever

Get the $10.00 special version of Forty-Two called Forty-Two VX or something like that.... It's at their website. It is designed just for this type of thing. And the application doesn't work straight out of the .app . You have to compile it with their compiling utility that comes with the regular Forty-Two. Its worth it.
  3. bondipete macrumors member

Jan 16, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have forty-two. All I want to do is to capture segments from dvds, then burn them in sequence to my own dvd. I'm a Cinema Studies teacher, so I want a clip reel on DVD. Is forty-two the right piece of software for it, or is there something better out there?

4. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2003
    Huntington Beach, CA, USA
    I find OSEx to work really well for capturing parts of a DVD, such as single episodes of TV shows. And here's a really great tutorial on doing stuff like this on Mac OS X:

And for the record, I'm not in any way advocating using this information for illegal purposes. I sometimes copy stuff to my laptop HD to take with me so I can leave the discs at home. To sorta quote Apple, "Don't Steal Video".