DVD to iMovie HD project help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lanray, Sep 22, 2006.

1. lanray macrumors regular

Here goes. I've posted this elsewhere, with little in the way of progress for my problem.

A while ago I filmed a wedding with my DV Cam. I needed the tape for another project, so I used iMovie to make a "magic movie" and burned it to DVD at the preset settings. Now, months later, I want to import that footage into an iMovie project.

So - I need to rip the DVD to a format that iMovie tolerates. Interestingly, I can't use HandBrake. When I rip the movie to .mp4 it creates a file (6 gig), but I can't open it in QT (QT doesn't recognize file), nor can I import into iMovie (QT can't parse - 2048). No one seems to know why this happens. Strange.

First question: why did this happen?

Then, I download FFMPEGX. I place the .vob file into the field, and tell it to rip to .mp4. It works! Magic, or so it seems.

Second question: what settings should I use to get the best quality possible out of the DVD to import to my project? There's a ton of options, and I'm not sure which to use. This goes for sound, as well.

Thanks ahead of time for the assistance. Rodney

PB G4 1.67 1 GB RAM rev. d
    OSX 10.4.7
    iMovie HD 5.0.2
    QT 7.1.3
    HB 0.7.1
    FFMPEGX 0.0.9

2. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

another question

Well, I just kind of plugged away and found that using FFMPEGX I could rip a .mp4 .avi. I still don't know why QT wouldn't read the HandBrake .mp4 rip. Anyways, if I make the bitrate 7,000 - the end result isn't so bad. Only problem, now, is that the ripped file is s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d. Here's the screenshot of my settings. Any suggestions? screenshot.jpeg

3. Apple2Mac macrumors regular

Apple2Mac

Its a complicated process but pointing you in the right direction here are the apps you'll need

OSeX
    mpeg2decX

4. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, but a few questions to clarify

The first ap looks like another MacTheRipper-type program. As far as I know, I won't need that (and haven't needed it so far) because my DVD is my own, unencrypted.

The second ap looks like it does largely what FFMPEGX does - create files of one type from files of another.

I suspect that the fact that my end-result rip is stretched horizontally is because I've got the settings wrong. I'm hoping someone can guide me as to the settings I should use to avoid the problem.

Unless I've missed something?

5. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

one solution

Just for posterity's sake: I downloaded DVD2DV - a handy little ap that seems to have done the trick. It ripped the .vob files from my DVD to a .dv file which loaded into iMovie without difficulty. My only complaint/concern is that I may not have gotten the "best quality" rip possible. If anyone reads this at any time and has a suggestion/clarification, please PM and let me know. Thanks, Rodney