DVD to VCD?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by videonastie, Apr 23, 2003.

1. videonastie macrumors member

Is there anyway I can convert a DVD into a VCD & burn onto a normal CD?

Also can I isolate the movie to fit on a 4.7GB DVD disc?:confused:

2. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Re: DVD to VCD?

For the mac, I don't know. For the PC you could try DVD Squeeze4.0. It claims that it can squeeze a DVD onto a CD with no loss of quality, but I have not been able to find a review on it, and have not tried it. look for them on google.

3. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

ffmepeg

take a look at ffmepeg

you have to download and install a seperate package for it to beable to decode DVDs. You can dump almost any file type to any other file type... and its free

4. DVDSP macrumors regular

Re: DVD to VCD?

Toast has burned a 1 GB file to VCD for me and the resulting file was around 45 MB. I wasn't too happy with the quality but I guess it would do in a pinch.

As mentioned above there are a few programs that will rip a DVD for you, another is OSeX.

If your intention is to rip a commercial DVD, let's say "Spider-Man", and burn it to your own DVD-R you could have trouble.

For one thing, commercial DVD movies are usually a dual-layer disc (DVD-Rs are single layer). That means that generally less than 1/2 way through the movie the laser picks up a signal to refocus to the second layer and start traveling in the opposite direction (ie back in toward the center of the DVD). The problem is this: The layer break is encoded into the MPEG stream. If you rip the DVD, recompress to a smaller file size and burn, the layer break is still there. I don't know what would happen, maybe nothing, maybe it will stop playing at that point.

I suppose you could rip and then de-mux the file, find the layer break and remove it, mux again, recompress and burn. Honestly, that sounds like way too much work just to get a free copy of the movie, plus, it might not work anyway.

By the way, you will notice a slight pause at the layer break in quite a few movies. Smarter encoders will try to place the layer break in the middle of a scene transition when the screen is black anyway and you won't notice the pause, but I've seen it many times.

5. videonastie thread starter macrumors member

DVD Decoding?

What DVD decoding software is available for Mac?

6. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a