DVD video burning problems - help?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by The Shadow, Nov 11, 2003.

1. The Shadow macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I have a DVD burning problem, that may be due to upgrade to Panther, or may be a Toast 6 problem, but am not sure.

Trying to make backup copies of some of my more collectable commercial DVDs. I rip with DVD Backup, process with DVD2ONE and attempt to burn with Toast 6.

So far I have only managed to create "Data" disks that will only fire up on the computer, so there no use, but it at least shows there's nothing wrong with the burner. When I attempt to make a "DVD-Video" with Toast, once the encoding is complete the following error message comes up:

"Cannot burn DVD due to MacOS error: Result Code = - 50" :(

I have an old G4 and have had the latest Pioneer "Superdrive" installed by a mac pro prior to installing Panther.
    I have subsequently installed all the latest Panther and Toast 6 updates.

Would really appreciate any advice. If I cannot solve the problem I have wasted a lot of $$$. :(

Thanks.

EDIT: Apple Support site says -50 is "error in user parameter list". Anyone know what that means?

Attached Files:

2. jbooo macrumors member

I had this problem before too. I had sucessfully burned about 10 DVD's and then on the 11th try it gave the same error to me. I threw out the preferences and restarted the program, had to re-enter my serial # and now all is fine. Give it a try...

3. The Shadow thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your suggestions.

I think the DVD2ZONE article must be old, ie refer to earlier versions of Toast. As Toast 6 does not seem to have an "Other" tab, and in the Video tab it will only respond to the Audio and Video_TS folders - if you put them in another folder as suggested, nothing is recognised. (Although that method does work in the "Data" CD tab - that's how I have created the DVD that plays on my computer.)

Do I misunderstand something?

Also I just tried an advanced burning option called "simulation". It said that what I was trying to burn is 4.8GB but the disk is only 3.9GB. That's got me confused, because if I do Show Info, they are 4.38 and 4.7 GB respectively - heaps of spare space!

Anyway I am re-processing with DVD2ZONE down to 3.5 GB and I'll see what happens. But I am worried quality will suffer.

4. The Shadow thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks JBOO,

I don't know how to find and delete the preferences folder, so I'll re-install the program and see if that makes a difference.

5. The Shadow thread starter macrumors regular

Anyway, just in case anyone read this thread, DONT BUY TOAST 6!!

I found out Toast is the problem.

The solution is to create a Disk Image with DVD2One instead of the folders, then use Apples Diskcopy to burn the DVD. That way you don't need Toast.

At least it isn't Panther.

6. Frisco macrumors 68020

Yeah I have no problems backing up commercial DVDs in Panther using DVDBackup, DVD2One and Toast 5.2.

Toast 6 seems to be trouble. I think it's time for a downgrade.

7. live4ever macrumors 6502a