DVD Video

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacBandit, Sep 9, 2002.

1. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I have a friend who rode in an organized group from SE China to Berlin Germany. The ride was the GlobeRiders 2002 tour. This tour was was filmed and aired on the Speed Channel on I think Motorcyclist. Well a local BMW motorcycle club member gathered all the video and made a DVD of it using iDVD as I found out. Well it doesn't work an any DVD players except those built in to Macs.

So here's my quest/question. I need to extract just the video from this iDVD disc. It's in a format I am unfamiliar with .VOB. I need to do this so I can create another DVD hopefully a compatible one. I'm doing this for the leader/organizer of the tour (Helge Pedersen who coincidentally owns all right to the footage from what I know) and my friend who rode with the group.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this could be done. I do not want to just duplicate it because I do not think this will fix the incompatibility problems.

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

There is no way yet to conver a .vob file format, everything is in beta testing and it doesn't work.

The only way is to recapture the video, I asume the video is not protectted (not all DVDs are protected like concerts and documentaries).

That is the only way. About the DVD not playing any where else, that is what I was expecting from this firs generation of DVD soft. May be DVD Studio Pro is more sofisticated.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

first of all, it SHOULD work with newer dvd players. and i think you can check compatibility on apple's web site somewhere...

also, mymemory is wrong because you CAN extract the .vob and you CAN convert it... in fact, that's what i (and rower) did for avatars.... took a dvd, extracted the track we wanted, then converted it...

i have the tools. i can email them to you if you want. let me know.

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Need help with DVD Video

You can try duplicating it. It may have been a bad or odd disc. Duplicating it is easy. I think you can just use Toast. (since it's not a commercial DVD, there is no encoding). In fact... any incompatability is likely due to the media (DVD-R) rather than any way it was encoded.

If you want to extract all the video and reencode it -- it's a lot of trouble and you will lose quality.

arn

5. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Need help with DVD Video

Thanks I will try this. Can I just make a disc image of it and then reburn it or do I have to use Toast. I don't own Toast.

6. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Need help with DVD Video

Thanks arn, that was exactly what I needed to do. I knew this all along but I just didn't remember it. The older DVD players are not compatible with the DVDR discs because the discs have lower reflectivity then commercial grade discs. I reburned the video on a higher quality disc and now it seems to work in all DVD players.

Thanks again.
    MacBandit

7. Farside161 macrumors member