DVD X Copy through VirtualPC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JDK INC, Oct 7, 2004.

1. JDK INC macrumors newbie

Oct 7, 2004
    I was wondering if there was anyone who has both VirtualPC and DVD X Copy and every successfully used it in a superdrive equipped mac.

I know what some of you are going to say, but i have a very large collection and keep them in a 400 disc changer. I dont want to have to go take them out and damage them on the road.

I was just thinking it would probably be easier than going through the three or four programs necessary on a mac to backup DVD's.
  2. rand() macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2004
    I'm not entirely sure it would work, I haven't played with Virtual PC much. The big issue (to me, anyway) would be the question of whether VPC has direct burning capabilities.

Also, and I'm only half-kidding when I say this, but for 400 DVD's it may be faster to:
    - Wait until Tiger comes out, and use Automator to make those 4 programs into one simple task, thus using the true native speed of your Mac,
    as opposed to:
    - Buy VPC, install Windows, install DVDXCopy, and sssllllooooowwwwllllyyyy :eek: start making backups.

If time is of the essense, buy VPC and pick your 2 or 3 favs, they might be copied by the Christmas travelling season.

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    Get DVD2OneX

or preferably Fast DVD copy (very expensive but there might be other ways of getting it ;) )
  4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    If all you need is a VIDEO_TS folder that's playable in DVD Player, use DVDBackup. It's free, and probably much faster than using something in VPC.
  5. Skizza macrumors newbie

Oct 8, 2004

I use DVDBackup, works great....there is also a program to compress the DVD to 4.4GB so you can fit movie on 1 DVD. Unfortunatley it does cost, it's called DVD2ONE X....WORKS GREAT!!!
  6. SumDumGuy macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2002
  7. Skizza macrumors newbie

Oct 8, 2004
    Ironically, I can copy, compress, and burn DVD'd to one blank DVD, but am having difficulty burning Mpeg's as a DVD to play on my DVD player. I assumed that you can drag multiple Mpeg file into Toast (6), and burn it as a DVD file with each Mpeg file serving as a chapter. Is this possible? if so, HOW????? help !!!!!!!
  8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Don't even worry about trying to use DVD X Copy - just use DVD Backup and then DVD2OneX. That's all you'll ever require for your needs, legal or otherwise... ;) :cool: