DVD X COPY/virtual pc

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jer446, Feb 26, 2005.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

On my windows machine, i use dvd x copy platinum to copy all my dvds. When i get my powerman with superdrive, will i be able to use virtual pc and copy them with dvd x copy xpress?? I love how simple it is to use. I am sure it will be similar speeds to because although it is running through virtual pc, which slows it down a bit, it has more processing power because its dual, and because a faster dvd burner. Is my logic correct??

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

On my Power Mac Dual G5 1.8 GHz VirtualPC / Windows XP run like crap, I bought the app/OS combo thinking it would run at a reasonable speed - but Windows XP states the processors as being a 500 MHz machine, and it runs like it. If you need to back up videos try MacTheRipper/DVD2oneX running natively or any other native OS X app.

3. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I'm not sure if it will even run at all. As suggested, I would recommend using DVD2oneX or Popcorn. On my 2GHz dual G5 using DVD2oneX, it took under 15 mintues to resize a 8GB DVD to 4.6GB.

4. Logik macrumors 6502a

popcorn is only for unencrypted dvd's.. which makes it pretty much worthless for anyone wanting to backup their dvd collection (say due to kids or for traveling purposes)... i don't make my own movie dvd's very often so it's worthless to me... but maybe more useful to others.. but probalby not what he wants to do :)

5. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes.. what would i use for backing up commercial dvds?? I go on vacation and they get beat up really badly.. thats why i wanted to run dvd x copy because it takes about 40 minutes to burn, but it does it perfectly.

6. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

You run Popcorn or DVD2oneX using another program like DVD Backup, Mac The Ripper, OSex, or Yade X to decrypt the DVD.

7. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

For windows there are better, free alternatives to DVD X Copy...

I own it, never use it.

8. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

and one major problem, is that DVD Video's do not work in Virtual PC. if you put a DVD Video in, the only thing you can access in VPC is DVD-ROM info... no video

9. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

If you rip it with mac the ripper after the the dvd is riped. You can open it with dvd player

10. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

You can do that with any of them if you have it output a VIDEO_TS folder.

11. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

You do know that second hand PC's have about the same resale value as used toilet paper?

So why not keep it and continue to use your PC for DVD backup?

12. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

okay I wasn't sure if this was going to work.
    But I backed up a copy of a dvd a while ago. I decided to try and burn it through toast titanium 5.2 it finished. But when I went to check if it worked it didn't work in my dvd player. Do I need to get that app popcorn or can I do it with titanium 5.2? :) Thanks in advance everyone here is always helpful.

13. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

So why not use the native Mac solutions mentioned above?

14. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

I'm assuming you ripped your DVD to a VIDEO_TS folder, if not ignore all this.

Two things to check. First will your extracted DVD play in DVD player when choosing File -> Open VIDEO_TS Folder? (After you choose open, you have to press play, it does not auto play). Second did you burn it as a DVD (under the other menu) or as a Data disk? You need to make sure you burned it as a DVD with the VIDEO_TS folder completely intact.

Usually DVDs are dual layer and don't fit on a DVD-R, so DVD2oneX and Popcorn are used to shrink the video size to fit on one DVD-R.

15. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

When I open the video_ts folder it doesnt play automatically I need to click play. Also my dvd's are dvd+r and I burned the whole movie to one. The toast program said that my dvd was 8gb. And I also burned the dvd as a data disk I believe. Could it be the toast doesnt support it or is it someting else. :) Thanks so much for replying fast also.

16. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

It might be because you are using dvd+r. as more dvd players support dvd-r.

17. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Nothing wrong with your suggestion, and that is probably the method that I would choose, but he likes the simplicity and ease of use of what he has - DVD X Copy Platinum - and he might as well use his PC for something other than an oversized paperweight :)

18. slu macrumors 68000

slu

There seems to be some confusion about Popcorn in here. I just want to clear up somethings since I use the program:

1. You must rip and decrypt the DVD first. Mac the Ripper is free and awesome.

2. If the ripped DVD is > 4.7 GB, it will need to be compressed before it will fit on a single layer DVD. Popcorn does this for you. However, unlike some other programs, you can only select full copy, or main feature only. You cannot select some special features, languages, etc.

3. You need to burn the DVD to a Disc. Popcorn will do this as well. In fact, it will do this and compression in the same step. Since Popcorn is made by Roxio, they used Toast "technology" to write the Disc.

This process works great, is easy, and is inexpensive. You can get Popcorn for about $40 I think.