DVD2OneX is finally here!

Discussion in 'New Mac Application Announcements' started by ShaolinMiddleFinger, Apr 22, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

For all of you who have wanted to make DVD back ups of your movies but didn't want to waste two discs to make it.....

http://dvd2one.com/news.php

It can put just the movie on one disc!

2. macrumors 6502a

We should mention that DVD2one is by far the most popular DVD backup app in the Windows world because
    - the process is very easy
    - it takes only 20-30 minutes
    - the resulting quality is surprisingly good, at least on a par with reencoders that typically take at least 6 hours
    - you can keep only the audio tracks and subtitles you need and have the others stripped out
    - there are 'movie only' and 'full disc' modes to choose from.

In other words, it's quite good...

While we're at it, if you want to backup your DVDs in original quality on 2 DVD-Rs, you can use a (relatively) new app called Disco+. The process takes about 90 minutes and keeps all audio tracks and subtitles. You can find it at http://homepage.mac.com/kaicherry/index2.html

3. macrumors regular

Sorry

I jumped the gun when reading this....the description had me confused a bit...but after looking more into it, I see what it is, a really great looking program.

I am sorry for anyone I have offended due to the rashness of my actions.

4. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Back up DVDs? HA!

You obviously don't understand the point of this program. It never claimed to decode DVD's... that's not the purpose of the program. You simply downloaded the wrong program.

Many others were eagerly awaiting this application...

arn

5. macrumors member

Re: Back up DVDs? HA!

Wow. You should really read up on things before saying uneducated comments about them! It isn's advertised as a decoder program, its purpose is to backup DVD's onto a single 4.3 gig disc. Use a program like DVD backup 1.3 to decode it. Loser.

6. macrumors regular

My bad...I assumed this was a DVD decoder....I did misread, but the info wasn't exactly crystal clear. Now I see what this is for. Might be useful if I ever get a DVD burner :p

7. macrumors 65816

maradong

i like dvdx.
    well but is it really that fast? Is there a version for mac / linux aviable?

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

They just came out with the Mac version....please re-read the news in the link.....

9. macrumors 6502a

...and yes, it really is this fast.

10. macrumors 65816

maradong

:D OOps...
    Shame on me.

11. macrumors regular

how much is $49.99 Euro in U.S. dollars?

...just curious.

12. macrumors regular

At the current rate of descent about ten grand...:D ;) :D

Seriously though, work on a Euro being about $1.10 and you won't be far off. So 49.99 Euro is about 55 bucks.

13. macrumors 68040

rickvanr

sweetness

ive been waiting for this app for well over 6 months... thank god

i cant wait to try it, has anyone tried it yet?? any reviews?

14. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

am i retarded?

From their website:

Does this actually mean you need another decoding software to use this? I am not experienced in DVD backups, could someone clarify this statement? Was dethl right?

Can anyone one help the non-adept?

Thanks.

15. macrumors newbie

dvd2one problem

I tried to copy a couple dvds and got the message that encrypted data was encountered that could not be decrypted. Am I missing a step or what?

16. macrumors 6502a

Re: dvd2one problem

Yes you are. You need to decrypt the DVD content first. You can use DVDBackup 1.3 for that (look it up on versiontracker).

I have been testing DVD2oneX today and can assure anyone that it works just fine, in 'movie only' mode as well as in 'disc copy' mode. On my PB 867 it takes about 30 minutes - which is a giant leap forwards for making DVD backups on a Mac.

17. macrumors regular

LOL

Thanks.
    Maybe it's me, but doesn't $50 seem awfully steep for a third-party niche product?

18. macrumors 6502a

Well, there's no competition for this app...

19. macrumors regular

Ok...lemmie get this straight

First, I decrypt whatever data I need to decrypt off the DVD, then I put it into DVD2OneX and compress it into a single DVD, burn and then I'm done...

Is this for DVD movies files only, or is it able to compress large non-movie files?

Can we see screenshots of the picture quality before and after the compression?

Also, isn't it legal to have decryption software over in Europe, or have they passed a similar DMCA laws? It would be really handy (and much easier too) if you guys could decrypt as well, but if a mass majority of your customers are American, I can see why you wouldn't do it.

This program gives me alot more incentive for buying a Powermac with a superdrive in it for college :D

20. macrumors member

can you burn the ripped DVD in Toast?

21. macrumors 6502a

Yes. You just have to drag the VIDEO_TS folder that DVD2oneX produces onto Toast (Option 'other' -> 'DVD'), add an empty folder named AUDIO_TS for maximum compatibility with standalone DVD players and then burn the disc.

To see the quality the app produces you can download the demo version from http://www.dvd2one.com/download.php - it will do exactly what the registered version does, but only for the first 30 minutes of the movie.

And yes, it's only for dvd movie files.

22. macrumors 68040

rickvanr

does adding the AUDIO_TS folder make a huge difference? all the dvds ive burned i havent included it, and they work fine. Isn't the AUDIO_TS folder automatically created when the dvd is burned anyhow?

23. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The DVD spec requires the AUDIO_TS to be present, but most players don't care about it. But to conform with the spec it should be there.

24. macrumors 6502

DVD2one works....great!

I've just finished my 3rd movie backup! I see no noticeable degrading of the image.

3 1/2 hr. 6.9 GB movie took 45 min. to convert to a 4.36 GB movie. 2 hr 6.7 GB movie took 35 min. on 1GHz G4.

BTW - Worked with 2 soundtracks (movie, director's comments) AND subtitles.

Definitely worth the $50.

25. thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Re: DVD2one works....great!

Were those time totals with or without decoding and burning?