DVDJohn: 2nd iTunes Hack

Discussion in 'New Mac Application Announcements' started by dotdotdot, Mar 22, 2005.

1. macrumors 68020

BetaNews.com reports:
    iTunes 5 Here We Come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How does this guy do it over and over??

And now iTunes Music Store works on Linux through this app...

2. macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I wonder how Apple will respond to this... I guess its good because there isnt a Windows version of it, and we know those people will abuse it.

I dont really understand everyones beef with the DRM. it certainly doesnt bother me, my 1 computer and 1 iPod that the music is being played on. And its easy to circumvent if I ever need to (JHymn, to AIFF, for use in video projects)

3. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I love the last bit about it not being ported to Windows. :D

4. macrumors 6502

I think he just changed the identifying packet to say iTunes 4.7 instead of 4.6. Apple really only bandaged the code, I'm surprised he took this long to change the identification. I think to truly stop him from doing this, the DRM would have to be added serverside, which would be a *huge* overhead to Apple.

Plus DRM will always be overcome on a software level. It just isn't practical unless there is a hardware solution too (Trusted Computing, anyone?).

Jim

5. macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

6. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is he American? Does he even live in a country that has ITMS? I don't know heaps about international law or anything but this may be harder than it sounds. :( I wish it wasn't though.

7. macrumors 6502

To answer you: Nope ... yep. But I think he is in a country that doesn't have any form of law that prevents this. In fact he isn't cracking the DRM, so a DMCA law doesn't do anything. He's just violating a term of service which may or may not make him culpable in any way. Most EULA's are laughable anyway in most legal systems. Plus he may not be the actual maker of these workarounds. He may just be the publisher, which puts him in a different category in civil terms, I believe.

There is already a heap of cases working for Johansen, making a lawsuit pointless. He is his own precedent.

Jim

8. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

haha, I'd be amused if Apple gets so fed up with this guy that they release an iTunes+QT for Linux just to kill his argument.

9. thread starter macrumors 68020

I can see the ads:

iPod and iTunes
    The world's biggest music player and store just went universal

Mac + PC + Linux

10. macrumors regular

Dont ya mean itunes 4.7.2 here we come ;)