dvdrw

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hui__lim, Mar 1, 2003.

1. hui__lim macrumors regular

I just burned a couple of div x movies onto a dvd using my superdrive (powerbook 1ghz). Excited with the dvd, I tried to view the files that i burned using my pc. Upon inserting the disc, i was greeted with a non-compatible or corrupted disc in dvd drive. Does this mean that the DVD that i burned using my mac is only compatible and can only be viewed with other mac machines and that i am not allowed to burn a dvd for my windows friends to view?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Hui

2. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

When you are burning a CD, you can burn it as HFS+ (Mac format) or ISO 9660 (PC format) or both. But when you are burning a DVD, if I remember correctly, you can only burn it as HFS+ or DVD-ROM (Standard DVD format for use in consumer DVD players). DVD-ROM can be written with Apple's iDVD or DVD Studio Pro and can be used in most DVD players including PC's. But if you used standard data burning, HFS+, then it can only be used in Macs. Since you mentioned DIV X, I'm guessing you used standard data burn using HFS+.

3. hui__lim thread starter macrumors regular

Is it then possible to burn Div X onto DVDs using ISO 9660? I bought SuperDrive with my PB thinking that the burning the DVD would be much like burning CDs (i.e. burn once, read anywhere). Doh :(

4. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

Insert a blank DVD-R into your SuperDrive and it should open up a window asking how you want to "prepare" this disc. I don't have a blank DVD-R at the moment, so I can't tell you exactly what. But I'm pretty sure it gives you two options (instead of three like CD), one is for burning Mac Data (HFS+) and the other for DVD video. So as far as I know, you cannot burn PC Data DVD (ISO 9660) using SuperDrive.

You might want to look into Toast Titanium from Roxio. It is a CD/DVD burning software that gives you greater options than Apple's built-in burner. This MIGHT offer PC data burning option for DVD's. But that's just a guess. Good luck.