DVD's Regions Code - Any Workaround?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cyberone, Jul 15, 2006.

1. cyberone macrumors regular

I have to change the regional code for DVDs once in a while.

Is there a workaround that allows continuous changing of those regional settings?

or am I stuck with the 5 changes?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There is one put you probably won't like it. When you format the HDD and install the OS again it resets it. But that's all I've heard in workarounds. Or you could try a program like DVD shrink.

4. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

rather than viewing ...: writing is the problem.

anyone?

5. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I don't think the VLC Region-free 'feature' works on the latest DVD players.

I wasn't aware that a consumer DVD burner adds a region code. I've not seen that problem myself anyway (between Region 1 & 2)

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

It's been a year since I was on this site...www.videohelp.com, go to the Mac video side (just scroll down to it) as a lot of people that have PBs used a program to get around this but off hand I can't rember it's name. I would say VLC/Mplayer but you need it for writing and not viewing so this is the best I can do :eek:
    Let us know if you/someone else finds something since this comes up about once a month ;)

7. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

am in region 3, powerbook set to region 1 and for copying certain DVDs the PB asks to change to region 3 ...

8. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I think this depends on what DVD drive you have (newer ones had the region coding incorporated into them rather than it being just in the OS). If you have an older PB set it to ignore DVDs when inserted (System Preferences > CD & DVDs) and then use MacTheRipper to copy it to your HD removing the region settings (set new region to all). This works for my PB 1.33 12" with a Matshita UJ-825, though I think if you have a 835 it won't let you read the disc without changing the region code.
    Other options are to flash your DVD drive firmware, can be difficult and deadly, or get a cheap external reader and set it to region 3 if you don't want to change your internal setting

9. Timepass macrumors 65816

That will not work. There are multiple things you have to bye pass dealing with regin codes. One is hardware and one is software.

The OS will only allow 5 changes. Also the firmware on the DVD will only allow five changes. Refomating the OS will not change the firmware count.

If the DVD drive itself gets to 5 changes it will lock itself in. No matter how many refomates you do the HDD the regin code the drive can play will not change.

Now you could get some new firmware for the DVD and then refomate the OS but you risk destorying you drive and refomating the hDD is a role pain in the rear.

10. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

11. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Sorry, I mis-read your post. MTR works great as my method is MTR, then DVD2oneX (to compress), then Toast to burn. However with Popcorn2 out one only needs MTR, Popcorn2 and then if you have Toast 6 or below that would give you a complete package. Sidenote: If you have Toast 7 it would be MTR and Toast 7 as Popcorn (ver.1) is built in.
    Back to changing regions, MTR works great but I wonder if HandBrake does the same thing? Anyway I've only come across a few items that MTR had trouble with but other than that it would do what you are looking for (IIRC).
    I thought you meant just watching the video but a few days later it all makes sense :eek:
    Last there is a MTR 3.0 out you just have to donate to get the download if you want the latest and greatest version of it.

12. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

wtf is region 3???

13. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

0 No Region Coding
    1 United States of America, Canada
    2 Europe, including France, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Arabia, Japan and South Africa
    3 Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Borneo and Indonesia
    4 Australia and New Zealand, Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America
    5 India, Africa, Russia and former USSR countries
    6 Peoples Republic of China
    7 Unused
    8 Airlines/Cruise Ships
    9 Expansion (often used as region free)

14. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Europe including France? Are you being sarcastic? :)

Arabia??? I believe the correct term would be Middle East and North Africa. :) I don't think Israel and Iran would be happy to be lumped into the rest of Arab world.

Combining Australia with Mexico or India with Russia does not make sense to me. I wonder what the motivation was?

15. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I didn't make the 'rules' - I just Google'd em! :)

16. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus