DVD's...single vs. Dual layer

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by silverback66, Nov 20, 2005.

1. silverback66 macrumors regular

I'm just about ready to burn my finished film and I was wondering if getting a dual layer DVD burner would actually allow me to have a higher quality picture or if it would merely allow me to hold more VHS-like footage? I really wish my DVD's could look as good as the mini dv master...

2. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

ur DVD's...Can look like a Mini DV Master...not sure how ur doing ur process. Dual Layer is just instead of 4.7GB, ur now at 9GB. More space = More room for footage or Higher quality footage.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm going to second this. If your DVDs look like VHS, then you're doing something incorrectly. I have virtually zero experience with this sort of thing, but I know that much :)

4. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

You should check the resolution of your output file from whatever software you're using. VHS is roughly 320x240 resolution (if not lower), and most CRT tvs have approximately 500 lines of resolution so make sure you're encoding/exporting at least at 520x400. This will result in a much larger file size, and thus why burning on a double layer may be necessary. But as others have said, your video should not be losing quality or at least not that much. You should be able to get an hour of very good quality video on a regular 4.7 GB DVD-R

5. silverback66 thread starter macrumors regular

strange...I've set it for the best settings many times before with my single layer and the DVD's look no better than a VHS. Of course when they're on my computer the files look great, but once I stick it on a DVD it goes out the window.

6. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

How are you burning the discs? Is the burning software re-encoding the video?

7. silverback66 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I just used iDVD and set it for the best quality settings. I just got DVD Studio Pro, but I don't quite know how everything works yet.

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

If yer using a high quality MPEG-2 encoder such as BitVice, Canopus, or even 8 Mbps Compressor CBR, you should be getting decent near-DV quality from your encodes. Dual-layer DVD ain't going to help you. GiGo, not saying your stuff is G, but quality is derived from using a clean source and efficient encoder. Most stuffs you can encode at 5 Mbps and have it come out looking fantastic.

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You should change the setting to "Best Performance" The "Best Quality" encodes at a lower bitrate so you can fit 2 hours on the DVD. "Best Performance" will let you put 1 hour on but the picture quality will be better.

I don't know if iDVD will take advantage of a Dual Layer burner (I think the latest version does). I know DVD Studio Pro will. It should allow you to encode at a higher quality with either program.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Your DVD will never look as good as the source footage on your computer, but it should look better than VHS. Either somethings not being encoded right or you have too high of expectations for DVD.

Lethal

11. silverback66 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so if my film is 40 minutes long and was shot on mini dv, lets say I export it through compressor to be imported into DVD studio Pro, what settings should I use to get the best possible quality that will fit on a single layer DVD?

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

8 Mbps CBR. and use 192Kbps AC3 for the audio.