Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mahking51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Hi All,

What I am looking to be able to do is place all my DVD's (approx 350) on to my Buffalo 2TB Network storage drive.

I then wish to be able to stream them to my Plasma HD TV via my Apple iTV (Mk2) box.

I have bought DVDFab8 on advice from a friend and so far have managed to frustrate myself beyond belief trying to sort all this out! :-(

When I try to do a complete full disc copy to my drive I have the option of getting a video TS and audio TS folder or an .iso file.

Neither of these formats can be seen by iTunes as far as I can see.

If I use the DVDRipper application and the Apple TV preset I get a .mp4 file which itunes can see and import with no problem. This then plays well on the TV via AppleTV. The problem here is that I only get the main movie and no extras and particularly I do not get the cover arttwork which I would really like so that I can flick through the movies when making a selection to view.

Annoyingly, there are 2 DVD movies in my iTunes library that do exactly whayt I want just fine, but I cannot for the life of me remember how they got there! They are however in a different file format of .m4v with a music note on the icon. I cannot find this option in DVDFab8

Running Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit on Dell XPS420

Any help would be geatly appreciated.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
DVDFab8 is a suite of tools, did you buy them all or a select one or two?
I bought the DVD Ripper and Video Converter pieces of DVDFab8 and they are pretty simple to use, once you know what you are doing. If its installed and setup, once you put a DVD movie into your PC, DVDFab should automatically recognize it (if you bought the DVD Ripper) and open up, at that point, depending on what you have (parts of DVDFab) you can rip it to your hard drive so you'll have a folder representing your movie and inside the folder you'll have an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders. If you have the video converter piece of DVDFab, you can convert the DVD directly from the disc in the drive to whatever format you want, in your case either MKV or MP4 would be suitable for your Apple Tv.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Here is my process, pretty damn easy.

I use RipIt. It is a one click software with basically a 99% success rate. It rips it to a playable .dvd file

I then use DVDremaster to reformat it and change it to a video_ts folder and also shrink it in size. I have around 100 of my movies backed up on my hard drive.

I would like to eventually have a digital library as well. My advice is to rip the featured title only to help save space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.