DVD's "were" supposed to be better

Discussion in 'Community' started by slooksterPSV, Feb 12, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

This is another thing that is making me angry (see my Why XBOX Sucks post). My dad bought my niece (who [will be] 21 months on the 25th) Shrek 2. We started to watch it, and found that you can't skip through the frikken commericals. That just makes me so angry. I thought DVD's were supposed to be better because of that. I mean yeah I can FF through them at 4x, but still, I should be able to press Menu or Top Menu and be able to go right to where I can play the movie. Other movies like Nemo will let you press menu and go right to the menu, but no, Shrek 2 DVD has to be made so you are FORCED to watch the commercials..... Thats it, I'm going to go email Dreamworks. GRRRRRRRRRR, I'm on a rant today!

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

They are BETTER -- better to marketing and advertising departments. I know your frustration, because I have experienced the same thing on other DVD's. That's the beauty with digital -- it's easy to force certain actions. I suppose we should feel privileged that we can at least fast-forward through the ads. :rolleyes:

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, well... DVDs aren't better compared to what? VHS? If you know how to skip the commercials at the beginning of most VHS tapes, besides FF-ing, enlighten me.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

yeah i just got sky captain and I have to watch the commercials, although i can chapter skip thru them. The Movie distributers will say it because of movie downloading that they have to force commercials on the front of dvds but the truth is that the sports cars they drive are getting more expensive and they could use an extra million here or there.

BTW, one of the most annoying anti-downloading advertisements out there is the one where they are inteviewing a stunt man from "the BIZ" and he talks about how hard he works to make the movie and all the time involved, and he says he doesnt like it when someone can just Download the movie he worked on with one click. Grrrr. The dipshit is already paid almost a year before the film is released and he doesnt see ANY on the profits whatsoever. Its like a bunch of execs in hollywood got together in some focus group drinking starbucks and decided that this ad might be a good way to put a guilt-trip on those would-be downloaders.

... whoa, talk about multi-track threading/tangents! :D

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Try a DVD player with an auto-play feature. I've got a Sanyo DVD/VHS combo gizmo machine, and if you enable the auto-play feature, then as soon as you put the disc in, it reads straight to the beginning of the movie. It even skips over the FBI warning that you can't fast forward through.

6. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yea, this really bugs me. :mad:

When I stick a DVD in, if I want to skip the commercials, I should be able to skip the commercials. I purchased the dang movie! If the movie were pirated or what-not, I wouldn't be complaining. But in the US, where you pay $15 for a DVD, I think we shouldn't have to be forced to sit through those things.

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

All the more reasons to invest in DVD ripping software. I keep my originals DVDs in a safe place, but first rip the main movie and author it as an auto play DVD. Load in my DVD-R and it automatically plays the movie, so I can skip all the commercial and menu crap that they usually put on there.

Disney DVDs are some of the worst with their commercials. Lucasfilm's SW trilogy has some of the worst chapter selection menus, each taking their own space on the DVD.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm not a fan of that commercial either, but your logic is flawed. Assuming studios reign in on production costs because of loss, or perceived loss, from pirating movies it is the production and post crew (including stuntmen) that will feel the pinch.

Lethal

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Funny that one PAYS for a DVD movie, yet they are still FORCED to watch the crap advertising. What's up with that, I am PAYING and BOUGHT the movie, I do not want to see this crap. I don't want the FULL theater experience. :rolleyes:

Just another way for advertiser to creep in they crap on consumers paid products. :rolleyes:

Say something now, otherwise the studios will think this is fine and dandy and will continue this crap well into the future. :rolleyes:

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Personally, I blame the British. :D

I saw commercials in theaters in London way before I saw them in the US.

And, yes, the "unskippable" commercials at the head of DVDs do suck.

Lethal

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The Industry will now sell a "commercial free" DVD movie version and charge an extra $2 USD for the advantage. ;) :)

12. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

as we are seeing on tv, ads will migrate into the film itself (more the just placements), darn this digital age

13. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Doesn't bother me, my mind tunes out when commercials are shown anyhow. ;) :)

14. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I had a liteon dvd burner (R.I.P) that recently bit the dust. Anyway, I had programed (hacked) it to ignore macrovision. By doing this I could flawlessly copy protected content. By default you couldn't do this. I also hacked it to play any region. So DVD players can be hacked to do stuff. My cousin hacked his to skip through the previews. I odn't know how he did it b/c they are all different.

You should google your player and look for a hack for it.

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

What I hate most actually is when you're watching a T.V. show and then this THING flies in and does some stupid dance and then text falls around it and reads "Watch this new sucky show!"

Those are far more annoying, because at least with a DVD player you can FF through those ads. With T.V. you can't even rewind to see what you missed and sometimes they cover up good stuff with those stupid ads....

16. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Haven't been there in a while, but this place used to be full of hacks for every player known.

17. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

the solution

strip all your dvd's of any form of protection, then do with them as you please. it's legality is questionable, but so are the tactics of Hollywood.

all i know is they are welcome to try and bring a lawsuit against me for skipping their advertising.

18. mpw Guest

A bit like the lettuce in a KFC sandwich;

"I'd like a chicken sandwich please."

"There you go here's the lettuce and chicken sandwich you asked for, would you like a drink/fries/toy?"

Do I look stupid enough to have forgotten I wanted a drink/fries/toy? Is my accent so broad that when I say 'chicken' it sounds like 'chicken hidden by an equal volume of lettuce and mayo'?

19. mpw Guest

In the UK we have SKY+ which is a HDD recorder / SKY satellite TV decoder. It's basically dominant in the HDD market over here because it has backing from SKY and uses SKY's EPG it also works really well.

In theory it would allow you to record whatever program you wanted and skip the commercials but you can't, nor does any other competitor market their machines with this feature. Why not?

Because SKY patented the technology to do this 5years ago just so they could make sure they kept it off the market to protect the income from commercials.

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

We make a game of product placements in movies....

21. mpw Guest

We were told that DVD's would allow you to skip to the portion of the movie you want. But then they force you to watch the marketing before each one.

They said quality would be improved. It is for those that I buy (very few, what's the point?) but I've taken more scratched and unwatchable DVD's back to Blockbuster than I ever have VHS.

They said that movies would be packed full of extra features like angles deleted scenes etc. I rented a movie recently and the deleted scenes were single lines of rubbish dialogue and there were only three of them, great feature!

Why couldn't the industry be honest and just admit that DVD's are a lot cheaper to produce and were supported by the player manufactures so they could make another bunch of cash?

22. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You have to ask yourself why they were deleted in the first place...

24. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I think he meant to say that if company's advertising deleted scenes, they should provide more than just 3 lines of flubbed dialog. At least give us 10 minutes of hilarious outtakes.

Second point, not all deleted scenes are rubbish. Sometimes the filmmaker has to delete a scene because it would slow down the pacing of the movie, even if the scene took days to shoot or cost millions of dollars.

25. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You can't give what you don't have. Or probably more likely, you can't give what you don't have the money/time to produce.

mpw,
    The quality between DVD and VHS is massive. It's not the studios' fault that people are inconsiderate d**ks and destroy other people's property with out thinking twice (rented DVDs).

I've got DVDs w/ hours and hours of bonus content on them. It's not the studio's fault that not everyone has the time and/or the money to produce a truck load of bonus content.

It's only been in the past 2-3 years that the cost of getting a movie onto DVD has been cheaper than the cost of getting a movie onto VHS. And when you factor in the cost of the bonus content (which is a pseudo requirement now), releasing to DVD is significantly more expensive than releasing to VHS. But it's also turned out to be significantly more profitable.

Lethal