DVDSP: Music on PSD Layered Menus?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cwright, Mar 9, 2006.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

I'm just about finished with a DVD project in Studio Pro 4. This is the first time that I've used the layered photoshop menus rather than a video or picture with button overlays... and I can't figure out how to add audio to the background of the menu.

It was easy enough with a standard menu, but with the layerd menus I don't see an option for audio anywhere. Is it even possible?

2. robx2 macrumors member

I don't think it's possible to have motion or audio with a layered menu.

If you search around, a lot of people will tell you not to use the layered menus because of their complexity and the resultant lag time when you select a button.

Personally, I like the flexibility they give you in design and the compatibility with Photoshop.

3. Keebler macrumors 68030

Nope

I believe it says this right in the manual. it's definitely on the apple dvdsp support boards. photoshop is the way to go.

4. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Nope. Simply can't be done. It's one of the major limitations with the current DVD specification. The good news is that much of this will be changed in the next HD standards; the bad news is that today this helps us how? :rolleyes:

Just like it would be so nice to have one music track play continuously in the background while the menus are being used. Can't be done. Want to have menus that add up to more than 1GB? Can't be done.

I think the rub lies in how the DVD specification treats the various layers -- each as their own menu, basically. So that every time the user navigated or there was some button effect, the sound file would have to restart.

Anyway, you're right that this is an unfortunate limitation to what would be an outstanding way to craft static menus.

5. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can deal with the lack of audio for now, but I'm just noticing that lag time when selecting buttons and that's really bothering me. It's not like these PSD files are very big–why can't the DVD player keep up?

6. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

The inablity to have one audio track play while you switch between menus has always been frustrating to me too. Do you think that will be possible when HD-DVD rolls around?

Also–Hollywood DVDs always seem so much more complicated and more seamless... how exactly do they manage this if it's a limitation of the DVD specification rather than of the DVD Studio Pro app?

7. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

There are all kinds of ways to fool the user into thinking it's "seamless". One way, on layered menus, is to create transitions in After Effects or Motion between the PSDs. Sort of too tired to elaborate more (1:30 AM EST), sorry. If you have anymore questions about DVD Studio Pro, feel free to ask me. I took a whole semester college course on the application and know lots about it and still keep in touch with my instructor (I can ask him anything that might be above my head). Good luck... :)

-Cory

8. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

the lag bothers me too.