DVi/ADC to s-video

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ndmccormack, Mar 15, 2004.

1. ndmccormack macrumors member

hi, I want to connect up a tv to one of my monitor plugs, I have a G4 DP 1.25, with a radeon 9000 card. Sadly this doens not support s-video out, and the only DVi- s-video converters i can see are either for ibooks, powerbooks or G5 computers... theres no G4's mentioned

Any advice??

cheers
    niall

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

sorry I can't really help here but I just wanted to say that its very odd there is no s video out on the 9000. I have a much lower end 7000 and it has s video out. very odd that ati would do that.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Looks like you can get one ofthese pretty cheap. I originally found it on MacConnection, so it probably works on a Mac.

4. ndmccormack thread starter macrumors member

its an AGP card tho.. so wont tht mean that I'd have to replace my Radeon 9000?? i thought that pc/macs only had one agp slot.. maybe i'm just being silly...

as for the 9000 not having a s-video out.. yeah its a bit crap, the 9800 does, but i don't really want to fork out another 300 buck on a new video card. Anyone knopw why the DVi to s-video cable on the apple site is only for G5 and not g4???

cheers
    niall

//

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

You've got an ADC + DVI connectors, right? That being the case, I'm guessing that any DVI - S-Video connector will work, even if it doesn't say it's compatible (I think Apple added that "G5 only" compatibility requirement because most G4s had ADC + VGA; only a few of the latest ones had DVI out.

I could be wrong, of course, but since Apple's adapter is only about $20 you're probably not out much if it doesn't work. You could try that or a generic one and just see what happens if you're brave...