DVI Cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by T-Stex, Jan 31, 2006.

1. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Hey guys, does anyone know if the new macs will come with a DVI cable to attach to an external monitor, or just the adapter? Or will a Dell monitor come with a DVI cable? I'm just wondering if I need to buy one for my new monitor. Thanks.

2. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

I do not have the new imac or a dell lcd but most likely the imac will only come with the adapter or none at all. Every mac that used the mini display connector did not come with a cable because apple thinks that you will be using their monitor which already has a cable. And to see if your dell monitor has a dvi cable just go to dell.com and look for the model. It should have a whats included column.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No computer ships with monitor cables.

Monitors ship with 1 or 2 cables, depending on how cheap the manufacturer is. Check the specs on the specific monitor. My 20" and 24" Dell monitors came with DVI cables.

4. arcsbite Guest

the intel iMacs come without any cables.

I figured this was fine as I was using my cable that came with my ibook to attach my old G5 iMac to my external monitor...

...then found out the intel mac has a different port...now I need to buy another cable.

5. T-Stex thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. It sounds like the Dell monitor will come with the DVI cable. I'll find out on thursday, and take it from there.

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Both your TiBook and your MacBook Pro have DVI output.

You'll simply connect the DVI cable from the Dell display to your portables (unless Dell doesn't include a DVI cable instead opting for a VGA cable).

You'd only need an adapter, if you had an iMac Core Duo, or a Powerbook 12-inch like me. In that case, you need the mini-DVI to DVI adapter, which is actually included for free, with 12-inch Powerbooks.

7. slb macrumors 6502

Yep, you specifically need a Mini-DVI to DVI adapter.

8. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

The original poster doesn't. They have TiBook 15 and a MacBook 15 coming. Those both have the full-size DVI connectors, so they only need to take the DVI cable from the display and plug it into their machine (unless I'm missing something which is always possible). :)

9. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

It kinda sucks that apple hasn't included the mini-dvi cables with any computer since the powerbook ""Update"", as they cost apple only a few bucks... Especially seeing as I expected one with my iMac looking at the "iMac, what's inside the box?" thing on apple's site, which pictured the cable, but didn't list it in package contents (which I realised after double-checking). Ah well.

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

The 12-inch Powerbook still receives the mini-DVI cable. It along with the Core Duo iMac are the *only* machines that can utilize the mini DVI to DVI output.

You really can't blame them for not including it with the Core Duo iMac, since it has a display and the ability to output is a secondary bonus feature. If the purchaser needs the capability, it is there.

The Mac Book Pro doesn't need any adapter (for DVI at least). It has a full DVI connector.

11. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

It would be nice if it included connectivity cables...my LaCie external drive included a 6 pin - 6 pin firewire cable, a 6 pin - 4 pin firewire cable, a usb cable, a miniusb-full usb cable...it was very nice. I picked up the miniDVI-VGA cable to connect the new iMac to my Dell flatpanel, only $17.10 (student discount) but it'd been nice if Apple had included it.