DVI Cables

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dross, Sep 15, 2004.

1. dross macrumors regular

dross

Here is my problem I have a 60" Sony XBP HDTV that has a DVI input. I wanted to conect my Dual 800 G4 to this as its monitor. I purchased a DVI cable but the end on my cable do not fit either. The conector on my cable has a trapizoidal profile while the plug on the TV and the D800 has rounded ends. To make maters worse my 17' powerbook has the same trapozoital plug as my cable.

My question is can anyone tell me (identiify) what type of conectors I should be looking for for all three devices.

Thanks

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I would ask the person who sold you the TV set. They're supposed to know this sort of stuff.

3. dross thread starter macrumors regular

dross

I just figured it out. The conector on the D800 is a ADC. I just got a ADC to DVI converter at the Apple store and I will let you know if that works.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Your HDTV would have to support a computer input as well. Not all do, and the ones to do a lot are very picky about the input.

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

To add to what superbovine said,

It's likely your screen resolution is going to be something like 1024x768, and at most 1280x768. If it's any higher please let us know.

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Trapizoidal? Isn't that VGA? I think DVI has rounded ends. Check to make sure you actualy got a DVI cable.

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

If you need a DVI to VGA cable, let me know. I have a 6-footer I'd be happy to sell off. :)

8. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

They are rounded corners, however, the overall shape is a trapezoid, I guess. It's mostly square for the top 80%, and the bottom ends tilt in slightly.

9. dross thread starter macrumors regular

dross