DVI KVM Switches (Need Help)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rkriheli, Oct 16, 2006.

1. rkriheli macrumors member

rkriheli

I am looking for a KVM Switch that can handle 2 DVI Computers. A year ago I purchased a Belkin KVM DVI switch that was able to handle this task but did not work well with Apple Pro Keyboards for whatever reason. I also tried out the Belkin Flip Switch... but for whatever reason, it only has a VGA connector and it's not quite the same.

I am willing to pay a premium to find a good switch that can handle the following:

(1) Powermac G5
    (1) Desktop PC (IBM P4 Server)
    (1) Apple Cinema Display 23" 1920x1200 Resolution
    (1) Standard Apple Pro Keyboard and Generic USB Mouse

I can live without the eject button functioning properly, but thats about it. I would like expose and all the other shortcuts/things to work fine.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for some good switches that can handle this task? Thanks in advance!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I don't have an Apple Pro keyboard, but an iogear DVI KVM is working for me between a G4 and a PC, Dell 20" widescreen. (The iogear and the ATEN brand KVM's appear to be identical)

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. rkriheli thread starter macrumors member

rkriheli

Thanks, but it doesnt seem like it supports Dual-Link DVI which drives the 23" Cinema Display.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, the 23" Cinema display does not use dual-link DVI - only the 30" uses Dual-link.

5. rkriheli thread starter macrumors member

rkriheli

you are absolutely right. that is my mistake. thanks for the lookout.

6. Mini Jay macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I would check with Gefen, www.gefen.com. They have a lot of different configs for KVM switches. They even have Dual Link Solutions for 30" Cinema displays.

This is what i found that would probably work for you http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3113 .

I use their extender's in our Final Cut Pro suite to drive 2 23" Cinema Displays, and they were very helpful when i discovered that the monitor "sparkled" and needed a powered signal booster to avoid this.

In our network room we use enterprise class KVM switches from Raritan http://www.raritan.com and are planning to switch to Avocent www.avocent.com when we recable from KVM cable to CAT5. Those 2 companies might also have a solution for you.

Hope this information helps. :)

Jay

7. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

I have an Aten - not DVI - and it allows you to define what system the keyboard is running, so the Mac keyboard works just fine on the Mac (eject key included), and mostly OK for the PC too (other than Ctrl-Alt-Delete to login). I would imagine the DVI model would do the same.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The other solution is to get a Logitech keyboard with the Logitech Mac software and map/assign keys to your hearts content in either OS. Plus have a choice of scroll wheels, media keys, whatever.