DVI Monitor 'no signal' error with G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Kingsfoil13, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Kingsfoil13 macrumors newbie

I am trying to use a NEC-Mitsubishi Multisync LCD 1760VM monitor (which is either VGA or DVI capable) with my new Dual 2.0Ghz G5. It's worked fine in the past, using a Belkin DVI cable (10' long), but I tried to start up the computer today and the monitor didn't respond. when I turned it off and on again, it gave a "DVI Digital: No signal" error. I tried connecting it to my laptop (an IBM T22) with the VGA cable, and it displayed fine, so I think the problem is in either the DVI port on the monitor, the DVI port on the Mac, or the DVI cable. It could also be in the video card, which is an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. (I beleive).

I also tried connecting the mac to the monitor by using the VGA cable and the DVI-to-VGA adapter that comes with the mac, in case it was just the DVI port on the monitor which was bad. Unfortunately, the same error returned, so I think my problem is in the video card.

In the past, this happened once, and I just turned everthing off and on again a couple times and it was fixed again. Any ideas this time?

If it matters, the mac is a stock off-the-shelf 2.0 G5, with an addition two 512MB sticks from Crucial.

2. Anna macrumors regular

First thing I would do is turn it on and off a few times - and etablish that your monitor is actually recieving power - e.g. is there any lights? etc

otherwise

Make sure the settings in the monitors control panel favour your display

goodluck

3. Kingsfoil13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I know the monitor itself is working because i can plug it into my laptop and use it - it's only when I plug it into my mac that it returns the error.

4. weinford macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my G4 Powerbook Aluminium. The DVI worked fine the first time I connected it to my Hyundai Q17 screen, but at work my HP screen wouldn't take DVI, only VGA. Now at home DVI doesn't work anymore, either :( I don't believe the DVI output from my powerbook is broken, I rather think it's a configuration issue, but I can't make it out. Switching on and off doesn't have any effect.

5. Kingsfoil13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution

I eventually determined that the problem stemmed from the well-documented and unfortunately common failure of the ATI Radeon 9600 video cards in the G5s. I called Apple and they acknowledged the problem. I took the machine to a local service provider, and they replaced the card promptly.