DVI to ADC ???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrBeama, Nov 11, 2005.

1. MrBeama macrumors newbie

hello

i was wondering if i could use my old 17" apple studio display to connect to my PC? (i know, just use the mac, but i have a new monitor for my mac)

this is the monitor
    [​IMG]

and it has the ADC plug on it
    [​IMG]

and i want to plug it into my PC running a 6600gt graphic card with A DVI socket. which looks the same but has space for 8 pins not 10.

is there an adapter for this?

:)

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

NO

It is a VGA monitor that is using a ADC plug, most all the DVI to ADC convertors only pass through the digital portion of the signal.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

??? I don't get it then..

What about a DVI -> VGA dongle and then an ADC to VGA converter?

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's not a DVI monitor -- it's a VGA monitor.

Most all ADC monitors are DVI+USB+Power, so all these little boxes package that signal.

This monitor is VGA+USB+Power, so it never gets the VGA signal it needs.

It's just a VGA monitor with a ADC plug, non-standard and orphaned equipment.

Edit: Still needs an ADC outlet to work...

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Gotcha.. so what about the DVI -> VGA dongle for the PC and then an ADC -> VGA converter?

Seems like a lot of steps to just get a new LCD monitor instead... :rolleyes:

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The monitor lacks USB and Power (taps the power off the ADC plug), needs both of those to work.

Anyways it's not a monitor you want to use on a PC, because there are no front panel controls -- so no way to change the monitor settings.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Oooh.. nice. Another addition to the "Fine Design" pile form Apple. E.G., puck mouse. <vomit>

I'm too lazy to look, but I know at least some of the ADC->DVI converters include plugs for power and USB. No idea if the ADC->VGA would too.. probably not. As noted, OP should just get a new, cheap monitor. :)

9. cubist macrumors 68020

Well, yes, those monitors are not very good. They wouldn't even work with some Macs, e.g. the Cube. But it's fairly old by this time anyway. There's a store near me trying to sell 17" CRT monitors for $29 - and they have about a hundred of them sitting around.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow