DVI to HDMI problems on G4 Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ghostly606, Jan 22, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2013
    I have a 1.67 G4 Powerbook and was hoping to be able to hook it up to my TV to use to watch the odd film and show photos to friends and family and so got a DVI to HDMI adaptor.

When I connected the cable up though the only thing I could see was a still of my desktop image. Is there anything I need to press or do to send what is on the screen out the DVI connection? Or alternatively is there a better way to hook it up to a modern tv?
  2. macrumors 68040

Dec 7, 2009
    In Displays preference pane you can choose mirroring or extended desktop mode. Mirroring will use your PB screen resolution, extended mode should use your TV native res. You can try "detect displays" first, to check if your TV is recognized properly.
  3. macrumors G3

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    You may also need to adjust the TV, the resolution on the Mac and/or the gamma.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2013
    It was in extended desktop mode, changed to mirroring and looks great, albeit smaller than the tv display (the extended desktop covers the whole screen). Is there a way to output the video on the extended desktop?

I am also surprised that it only displays the image and doesn't output the sound, I am guessing I'll have to hook up the headphone output to some speakers for this?
  5. macrumors 68020

Feb 19, 2011
    Start playing a video and then drag it to the second display. You can view and modify the display alignment in System Preferences. You originally only saw your desktop on the second monitor because there were no windows on it.

The DVI standard does not include audio, so you will need to use another output.
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2013
    THanks for the response. Is there an output format compatible with my PB that does include audio?
  7. macrumors member

Jan 29, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Yes you first need to split the headphone jack audio on your powerbook

using somthing similar to :

then you feed your DVI to a converter box and the two audo cables :

then you attach your HDMI lead and feed it to your TV.

annoying I know but TV's expect to see audio on there HDMI channel.

ofcourse you could just buy some cheap speakers for each side of the TV!
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks, but I meant, do any of the other outputs carry audio (i.e. specifically S-Video I guess) - but just googled it and the answer is a resounding no!

I have speakers next to the TV so that isn't a problem, it's just another thing to hook up to the laptop meaning I probably won't ever bother.