DVI to S-Video

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VforVelveta, Nov 17, 2006.

1. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

Quick couple of questions.

First, if I got a DVI to S-Video converter and connected my laptop to my TV, would both audio and video be sent, or just video?

Second, if only video is sent, is there a DVI to S-Video converter that I can also connect the audio out to since S-Video can carry both audio and video?

Thanks for any help.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I'm not sure that S-Video can carry both signals. HDMI can but I don't think S-Video can, every TV I've seen has audio inputs with their S-Video inputs.

The DVI-out on the Mac doesn't carry any audio signal anyway so you'd still need to take the audio from the audio-out to whatever adapter you can find if you can find one. A single-plug solution wouldn't work.

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Yeah, you'll need a separate 3.5mm audio to RCA cable to get sound. I'm pretty sure there isn't any way of getting audio from the DVI port.

4. VforVelveta thread starter macrumors regular

VforVelveta

Oops, yeah, you're right, S-Video only does video.

So does anyone have any good methods to connect to a TV? My options for connections are composite, S-Video, and HDMI. Also, it would take about 15-20 feet of cord to reach, which would most likely cause the signal quality to degrade. Anyone have any suggestions they have tried?