DVI to VGA to SVIDEO to RCA to BNC? Anyone? Help, please!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by robotjustin, Feb 27, 2004.

1. robotjustin macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2003
    Any tech heads please help.

I have a G5.

I need to go from DVI - a TV MONITOR.

Stupidly, I missed out on buying the DVI to SVIDEO cable they have for the G5.

Here's what I do have

1. The DVI to VGA 15 pin adapter that came with the machine.

2. (I just bought this) VGA 15 pin to VGA 9 pin adapter.

3. (I found this on an old avid.) A VGA 9 pin to BNC or SVIDEO cable.

I need it to run into an AB swithcer and then out to a projector. The other source on the AB will be a DVD player.

For whatever reason, the OS is reading the second monitor, but nothing comes up.

Any help blessed for ever!
  2. pncc macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    You want this part#: M9267G/A

it can be found at macMall and other resellers
  3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    The easiest solution by far is to buy the part that pncc suggested--I have one and it works quite well.

That said, at least in theory you should be able to do what you're trying to do with the big chain of converters you already have. If something working is plugged into the DVI port, even if it isn't outputting any signal, the Mac will think there's a monitor connected--that is normal.

What you probably want (if there's not a "break" in the chain going on somewhere in the middle of your big mess due to an incompatibility you don't realize), is something like this:

I'm guessing you can get one from Radio shack if you need it right now, but if you're going to mail order it, the DVI-Video (svideo or RCA) from Apple is only about $20, so it's silly not to get that instead.
  4. robotjustin thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2003

they took it back at compua and traded me for the dvi-svideo.
    doing a live performance tomorrow and couldn't wait for the coolness of VGA antiquity.

concessions, concessions!