DVI - VGA Adaptor

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by KaitlynT, Aug 19, 2002.

1. KaitlynT macrumors newbie

TiBooks come with a DVI - VGA adaptor. What is this exactly? I don't own a tibook (yet ... teehee) but do own a 17" monitor. It's two years old, one of those 17" monitors where you can see into the clear casing. I believe it's an Apple Studio Display?

A major plus of buying a tiBook would be hooking it up to my monitor ... can I do this with this monitor, and is that what a DVI - VGA adaptor is for? Or do I need to purchase the additional DVI - ADC Display Adaptor?

I'm getting dizzy from all the acronyms.

Thanks,
    Kate

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: DVI - VGA Adaptor

Kate. The DVI - VGA adaptor would allow you to use your TiBook with your current monitor. This is a great feature. You can connect to Apple's new LCD's with an additional adaptor, to your current monitor with nothing additional, your TV, LCD projector, and many, others as well. You should get my e-mail soon.

Talk to you soon.
    B2TM

3. Gaz macrumors regular

I believe that this cable allows you to plug your normal CRT in to your PowerBook.

I've a 500Mhz PowerBook and that has the VGA port directly on the back. If you plug in to that, you can work with 2 screens which is really good for Photoshop stuff.

You would only need to buy the ADC if you had an Apple flat panel. Any other brand of flat panel would plug directly in to the DVI.

I hope you enjoy your new PowerBook. I think you'll find that having a machine which is so well designed is very inspirational to work with.

Gaz

4. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Re: DVI - VGA Adaptor

I'm guessing you have a CRT...if it looks like the eMac or the old iMac, then its a CRT. Unfortunately, the apple display, it connects via ADC...the new powerbooks have a DVI port instead of the VGA. You'll have to buy the DVI-ADC adaptor comes with the ti-book like you said, and it converts the DVI and USB on the tibook to ADC so you can connect your moniter. One of the great things about the tibook is moniter spanning or what others call the "extended desktop". That means you can increase your workspace from the tibook screen to include your 17" moniter...its really nice! Hope you enjoy your powerbook when you buy it...i'll be buying mine soon.:)

Sorry to hear about your previous computer...thats gotta hurt. Have a great senior year in college!

5. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

apple 17"

I'm not positive, but I think that the apple 17" CRT display uses ADC. (I'm probably wrong.) But if it does, wouldn't you need to get the ADC to DVI adaptor to connect it to the powerbook?

6. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Re: apple 17"

You're right. I completely forgot. Kate, you'll unfortunately need to buy the VGA-ADC adaptor ($150) to connect...ouch.

I'll edit my previous post.

7. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Just checking, but is this your moniter?

You'll need DVI-ADC adaptor i think...

Attached Files:

8. KaitlynT thread starter macrumors newbie

Hiya OverAchiever,

Yep, that's my monitor. So do I have to drop the extra $150 to hook it up to a new tiBook?

I guess I don't mind, really, if I do ... the extended space will be marvelous, even at $150.

Thanks, Kate

9. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yep. My bad. They are right Kaitlyn. You will need the adaptor. Apple sells them for 150.00