DVI vs. VGA for an LCD?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacAztec, Apr 14, 2005.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hey. My mom just got a Dell 1905FP monitor, so I get her old Princeton SENergy 850 LCD. It is a nice screen (except for one spot where my dumb bro hit it, so there is a clot of dead pixels the size of a half-dollar). The screen is both VGA and DVI compliant. We have had it hooked up over VGA, but...

I was wondering if I would get a noticably better picture out of DVI? Would the refresh rate or anything change? I have a PowerMac G4 w/Radeon 8500 Video Card. Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

All things being equal I would always choose DVI over VGA. It removes the unnecessary digital to analogue to digital conversion. LCD monitors do not have a refresh rate as such (they don't scan top to bottom like a CRT). What you will get with DVI is pixel perfect precision without any adjustment and it won't drift over time (as I have seen happen on some VGA connections).

3. Norouzi macrumors 6502

I'd also recomend DVI over VGA if available. I chose my Synergy 715 because it had DVI. I definatily notice a difference compared to my VGA LG LCD that I have here at work. My eyes get tired faster here at work then they do at home. Although my eyes don't get tired anywhere near as fast on either as they did when I had CRT's.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Go for DVI, much better.

Using the same video board and the same LCD screen, the LCD display looked much better when I used the DVI port on it instead of the VGA port.

(The Video board put out both analog and DVI through the DVI connector, it was just a different cable to connect to the two different ports on the display.)