Dvorak and the MacBook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JessicaSideways, Dec 28, 2012.

1. JessicaSideways, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2012

macrumors newbie

Okay, so I am typing this at my local Apple Store... in QWERTY. Blegh.

I have to replace my mid-2010 MacBook Pro because it was stolen. So, I am here and looking at the 15" MacBook Pro Retina (the $2199 USD model, in case you were curious). So, I asked a sales clerk if they sold a version of the Retina with the keyboard in the Dvorak format. He had to go to the back... they don't. Fsck.

I then asked a lady who works here if I could do some jiggery pokery with the keyboard to convert the actual keys to Dvorak. She told me that the keyboard was welded to the computer and that would make it impossible to convert the keys to Dvorak. Again, fsck.

But is that true? Is it really that hopeless? Is there a way to convert the MacBook Pro Retina keyboard to Dvorak? Has anyone here done it? Is there any stumbling blocks or possible places where I might encounter some trouble doing it myself?

I've also asked locally at independent Mac repair shops and so far, no dice. They do not do keyboard remapping at the Mac Shack, a repair shop on University Hill. I am planning on going to Boulder Mac Repair and to a couple of places in Denver to see if they do this but I'm starting to think that this is something I'm going to have to DIY.

2. macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

How did you get your current MBP to Dvorak?

3. JessicaSideways, Dec 28, 2012

thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't. My ex did. And no, she wouldn't tell me. And no, she won't do it again. That is, if I had the courage to ask her again, and frankly - I don't. :(

4. macrumors 6502

Who the **** is Dvorak ?

I took my time to read @ wikipedia and it sounds nice. why can't you use sticks on it ?

5. macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Google keyboard mapper for Mac to get the software you are looking for.

Edit: Or go into settings and then Keyboard settings, select DVORAK layout there.

6. JessicaSideways, Dec 28, 2012

Three words: Autistic Sensory Overload.

Same reason why I buy certain clothing (and modify certain vintage clothing so seams, tags, etc aren't nearly as obtrusive). Because if I don't, it'll bug the fsck out of me.

7. macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Did you read the original post? She knows how to use software to remap the keys, but it's the keys themselves that are the issue.

8. JessicaSideways, Dec 28, 2012

... Out of curiousity, why would I need that? Esp. given that the Dvorak layout is included as a part of Mac OS X, so the software part is a non-issue.

9. pgiguere1, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012

macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

10. macrumors 68000

11. macrumors newbie

I've successfully converted my MBP/Retina to Dvorak

Use a plastic spudger tool to gently pry the keys off from the top, then move them where they should go and press them back down until they click back into place.

Took me about 10 minutes.

Attached Files:

12. macrumors member

And that's how I destroyed my right command key on my wired keyboard.

13. macrumors 601

Wired keyboard uses different mechanism for fixating the keys ;) But for the MBP, with some practice and lots of patience, its easily doable.