Dvorak Crucifies iMac

Discussion in 'Product Recommendations/Reviews' started by dswoodley, Sep 1, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

2. macrumors regular

Sheesh, that was a little caustic. Man, I usually love Dvorak's columns :(

3. macrumors 601

stoid

"Who needs to carry 10,000 songs with them at all times?" -Dvorak

Apparently over half of the people that get an mp3 player, that's who. Apparently more kids than want any other present this Christmas.

4. macrumors 65816

Elan0204

What a bad article. All he does is critizie the keynote and Apple's marketing strategy. He hardly even mentions the new iMac G5. I'm all for well constructed, supported criticism of Apple, but that article was a worthless.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

what pisses me off the most is his complaint about how all the cords are in the back of the machine??? WTF???? I'm pretty sure that is how the are on all computers.

Did Enderle kill the real Dvorak?

6. macrumors 65816

i'm pretty much with him on everything he said. sorry to say it, but he's right. apple is losing focus of it's priorities as it milks the ipod mania for all it's worth, while innovating very little in that market. The choice of only white is also extremely annoying, I have to buy a new set of non-apple headphones with every iPod so i don't look like every other @$$ walking around with white earbuds. some people really love the attention they get from their gadgets, i personally feel a personality is a better route. they still have yet to incorporate optical in/out, or anything of significance since they introduced the iPod. Apple should buy iRiver IMO. the blunder that is the iMac G5 i won't get into, but I really do not see this as being very successful due to it's lack of character and awkward design, but I will need to see one in person before i can just write it off. maybe it's just because the iPod team designed it, and i hate the look of the iPod?

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I am not following. You are mad because Apple made a trendy product?

time will tell, but I am predicting Apple sells or takes orders over 250,000 by the end of Q4

8. macrumors 6502a

Dvorak just sounds mean!

Um, yes? It kinda is, don't know where you've been all this time.

I think he's factually wrong when he says this; aren't all the ports on the SIDE? It sure looks like it.

And this was just plain rude:

9. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The reason he writes stuff like this is because he knows it will generate a ton of hits and emails. And that's the only way he can prove to his publisher how popular and important he is.

10. macrumors regular

Dvorak smokes crack and winds up peeing on the third rail

I wont even qualify his articles by reading them. Was he not the one that rang the death bells for Apple a while back?

11. macrumors 65816

basically. don't get me wrong, i love my ipod (1st gen). since i've had it tho, the ipod hasn't gone very far other than increased storage. i like many of iRiver's features, but they have a POS interface and poor product design. if you merged the two you would have the best of both worlds IMO.

i am mad because apple offers NO options. you either get a white/chrome ipod, or you don't get an ipod. you either use apple's white ear buds or get your own (which is better option anyways since you'll get better sound). they offer NO choice, with any of their products really (you either use Aqua or you use a haxie and theme it, 1 button mouse or 3rd party, aluminum or nothing, their system font and system icons or haxie, etc, etc).

i had switched to apple under the assumption that OS X was still in it's infancy and true user customization would follow once it was stable (this was during 10.1). 10.2 came around with performance, but no customization, 10.3 same thing, 10.4 i'm not holding my breath.

in order to continue to grow and prosper (which apple seems to be doing quite well these days) they need to CONTINUE to innovate, not allow their products to stagnate while the competition catches up (which for some reason it has failed to do as one company after another releases horrendous Apple imitations).

i'm mad at apple for not continuing to wow me.

12. macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

It always seems the most brilliant inventions are criticised like this, especially in art and music. And for me the iMac is art. As soon as someone does something revolutionary, unthought of, and new, it questions the way people live their lives. This generates hostility.

There's bound to be even more critisim on the way.

13. macrumors member

Frump

This man is out of touch.

:) First off, attacking another persons dress sense is not the best way to start when your intention is to be objective.
    "the computer blends in with the background" I think that's the point!
    "all the cables connect at the back of the computer" I am not sure what he is trying to say with this statement but it applies to about 99% of all computers.
    Some have connections on the side (laptops) and the back. The purpose of this computer is to make people who buy Ipod's also buy the new Imac.
    This is also another weird concept that is called marketing. This is obviously still a foreign concept to Mr. Davorack.
    The design is by no means new and ground breaking but I think it is the most obvious next step.

Frump.

14. macrumors 601

stoid

I did find Shiller's appearance to be eerily Balmer-like. More hair and less sweat...... :eek:

Attached Files:

15. macrumors 68040

JFreak

i have to disagree - apple computers and macintosh operating system has been evolving a lot lately, so you cannot argue that apple has lost focus on their core business. the hype around ipod is a great thing to DRAW ATTENTION to the company and its products, and over time, if ipod keeps its market share, more people know about apple computers and macintosh operating system, and want to buy one.

16. macrumors 68040

JFreak

yep. maybe he has had a stressful phone call from the publisher lately? :D

17. macrumors 68040

JFreak

you do have the choice of installing the haxie, you do have the choice of buying any mouse you want to, you do have the choice of buying a colored ipod, too... what are you whining about?

18. macrumors 68020

inkswamp

Hilarious!

What's absolutely freaking funny about this article is Dvorak's long history of getting so many things absolutely, flat-out, 180-degrees wrong. Don't any of you dare read this and fall into the trap of getting angry. Seriously. It's hilarious when you keep in mind that this is the same guy who authoritatively penned a pompous piece of drivel in 1998 that basically said Apple was done.

Don't take this clown seriously. He's a blowhard who thinks his half-baked perceptions are worth being written down and published. I'm surprised he's still published after such a dismal track record. He's really a hack writer.

In a way, the fact that Dvorak doesn't like the new iMac is one of the best endorsements ever. :D

19. macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Honestly, was his family killed in some sort of tragic collapse of a stack of Macintosh computers or something? I have never seen someone with such a grudge in my entire life.

20. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its an opinion piece, but i dont agree, im not taht pleased with the new design tho, but time will tell if its a flop or not

21. macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Yep ... I think you win the cigar ....

His arguments are rather bereft of depth and intellect. Sure, he's welcome to his opinion and I won't ever begrudge him that right, but the man is a fool and I shall seek more valid opinion from a bovine digestinal exit point.

I would like to say that the man wouldn't know what day of the week it was .. but he got me there, sure enough the day after the keynote WAS the 1st of September ... perhaps he's not so stoopid afterall....

22. thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, i can see that :cool:

23. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

BULKY?! :eek:

24. macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Why hello, Mr. Dvorak. Nice of you to visit.

Care to quantify just how Apple's OS has "stagnated?"

25. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

Or you get a mini. Or you get one of the many available colors for the Sony Digital Musi... oh, wait, no options there. So go for the variety of options in the .... oh, wait, no options there either. You can only offer so many options and remain efficient in manufacturing (i.e. profitable).

Again, who else offers these options? Why in the world should we expect Apple or anyone else to offer a significant number of options in this area when there are already a thousand 3rd party headsets available?

Again, the more options, the less efficient to produce (OS interface excluded). There are a number of 3rd party options for input devices that meet the needs of consumer variety without Apple shouldering the burden of providing them at similar price points, or worse at higher price points and then being lambasted for being too expensive. There are also a number of safe and effective interface tweaks.

I don't see how the new iMac G5, the new aluminum displays, ITMS, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, etc. are not innovative products. Sure, there are a couple of dogs out there (.mac), but in general the Apple products do a good job of outdistancing the competition.