Dvorak keyboard mod - void warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wjlafrance, Sep 14, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Hey guys. I've been meaning to learn Dvorak for a long time and finally tore up an old Pro Keyboard and made it Dvorak. I was wondering if anyone knows if changing the keyboard layout will void the warranty?

2. tpg
    macrumors regular

Let me get this straight - you've modded an external keyboard to Dvorak, and have plugged this into your mac. I'm assuming the keyboard isn't under the mac's warranty, so this will not void it.

3. macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I wouldn't have thought so - just change it back before you send it in if you're unsure.

4. tpg
    macrumors regular

Oh - I've had a look at your sig which says you have a macbook. If you switch around the keycaps you might well lose the warranty.

I've done this myself actually, so should probably warn you that the scissor supports under the 'f' and 'j' keys are rotated 90 degrees, giving a total of 4 incorrectly oriented keys in the new layout!

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

I moved the keys on my MacBook. I have a late 2009 and I don't have the rotation issue. Hopefully it's legit.

EDIT -
    It looks like the wording is that if I take it in with a Dvorak keyboard then all that will happen is they won't fix any keyboard issues.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

I spoke with a Genius today. He said, and confirmed with some others, that if you can re-arrange the key caps without breaking them and it's back in working condition, they won't worry about it. Obviously, if you break a key cap (and they're pretty durable, I'd say) they won't replace it.