dvorak keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by homerjward, Jan 20, 2005.

1. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

im trying, rather successfully in fact, to learn the dvorak keyboard layout, but i'm still using my regular apple qwerty keyboard. can anyone recommend any good dvorak keyboards that match an emac, or at least look like the apple keyboard? id just sort of feel more comfortable being able to see the keys i guess if you know what i mean

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I've never heard of that kind of keyboard. Does OS X support them?

3. mms macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's a matter of support but finding a keyboard that has the dvorak keyboard layout preprinted on it. I've personally never seen one and have never taken a liking to dvorak.

4. Jsmit macrumors regular

I don't tof any dvorak usb keyboards that are available.

The work around:

Use a software solution. Directions

Then start popping keys from your current keyboard and placing them in the dvorak configuration.

[edit: I guess you already configured the converted OS X to Dvorak, you just need to start popping)

5. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I messed around with a dovorak keyboard for a while, however it was hard to go to school and use their computers so i droped it. But anywho just pop off the keys and stick 'em back on in a dvoark way. It takes about 5 minutes.

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i started learning DVORAK a couple of years ago (unfortunately i never finished... :() but it was okay to pop the keys off a TiBook, but you can't on the new AlBooks.

another thing your could try is getting one of those plastic/silicone keyboard protectors that you just lay ontop of the keyboard. then you could grab a nikko and write the letters on that.

about changing back and forth between QWERTY and DVORAK - once you've learned DVORAK (and assuming you know QWERTY) it's not that hard to just stop and change between the two. i've heard of lots of people who've learnt both, and can easily switch between them. i'd strongly recommend that if you're starting, or have in the past - stick with learning DVORAK. it's somuch faster to type. for example - you can type lots of common words without even moving your fingers from the home row. and lets say you want to type "the", a very common word. using the QWERTY layout, you have to move your fingers for each letter! if you were using the DVORAK layout, you would move your fingers a total of 0 times!

i think the benefits are clear. ;)

7. tubedogg macrumors regular

Is there any good typing tutorial-type software (for either Mac or PC) that teaches dvorak?

8. homerjward thread starter macrumors 68030

homerjward

cool, i did the key switching thing and like it a lot better. i still use qwerty a lot so it will be interesting then lol. thanks to everybody for the help.
    edit: how did you go about learning it, cb911? im just typing things out of textbooks from school and stuff like that, not really using any program or method or anything. lol and i have my background as like a blank screen with a dvorak layout in the top left corner in case i forget...

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i meant to mention before, that the differences in just typing "the" cascade down throught the whole alphabet and dictionary.

also - i'm not typing with DVORAK right now.... i never got around to finishing learning it, and that was at a bad time when i was at college as well. but now that i'm finished i might take it up, properly.

i wasn't using any software to learn it. all i did was find a website that had a DVORAK tutorial. basically just exercies online that you did whenever you wanted. i do remember using some software to learn QWERTY - that was a bit more interesting. but all it comes down to is practice. :) so the method of using online exercises should work just fine, that is if you can stick it out & not get bored of some old web page. :p

after about 1-2 weeks i noticed that i could more easily differentiate between when i was using QWERTY and DVORAK. before that, i'd get confused, and for example, accidentally type where 'a' was on the old layout, instead of where it was on the DVORAK layout. that was probably one of the most annoying things about trying to learn it. but it gets easier. :)

here's some linkage to get you started:
    http://www.gigliwood.com/abcd/abcd.html
    ( ^ i think that's the one that i started to learn Dvorak on... looks to be very comprehensive. don't be tempted to look at the advanced lessons, you might put yourself off. just take them as they come...)

http://www.tenthumbstypingtutor.com/dvorak.shtml
    ^ some Dvorak software. i've never seen this before, but they've got a free trial download on their site. edit - the software is for Mac, Win & Linux... that page also lists some more of the benefits of the Dvorak layout.

hope that helps.

10. homerjward thread starter macrumors 68030

homerjward

cool. ill probably give that software a try, sounds good.

11. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Attached Files:

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

that FrogPad looks interesing... being able to constantly have one hand on the mouse would be great. but it looks like it would take alot to get used to to? have you tried one? what's it like? can you actaully learn to 'touch type' on those things, or do you have to keep looking at the keys?

13. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

that would drive me crazy trying to learn it!

14. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

I decided tonight to start to learn the Dvorak method. Using this website, I'm up through the first 6 letters - fun! Yay for being able to reorganize keys on my iBook :D Thanks for the great link!

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I've used TenThumbs to learn Dvorak and it works very well,quite simple but effective.

16. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

I, unfortunately, have not tried one. My main interest in them spins off of the possibility of using one for application shortcuts as opposed to normal typing. They would be a great way to get rid of the full keyboard in photoshop, movie editting and CAD.

However, the couple reviews I have read (one in MacWorld I think, and one in Graphic Exchange) suggest that they are pretty nice for typing too.

Also, from the product website:

Q: How long will it take me to learn FrogPad™?
    A: Think about how long it took you to learn how to properly type on the standard qwerty keyboard. 79% of the population does not touch type. In about 2 minutes with FrogPad™, you will understand the logic behind the patented letter layout. In an hour you will remember where most of the letters are located, Then in about 6-10 hours you can get to 40 words a minute. Keep in mind, children do not go through a semester of typing classes. Children can be trained on FrogPad™ very quickly. And imagine the difference it will make to their posture.

I'm not sure how much value to give that . . . since they are trying to sell them. . . .