dvorak keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GameWeaver, Nov 21, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2011

I'd really like to have a go at using the dvorak keyboard layout. What I want to do is get an old Apple keyboard and pop the keys off and re-arrange them into the dvorak layout. Has anyone done this before?

2. macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2008
    Google even has videos on how to do this.

What I did was print a copy of the layout as a "cheat sheet" and just switched the keyboard layout in the operating system.

The hard part for me was the roughly month of transition as I was getting confused between Dvorak and qwerty. I worked an hour or two each evening on regular touch-typing websites, but switched the keyboard when I used them. I switched completely when my Dvorak speed was about 75% of my qwerty speed, and always used Dvorak at that point. I'm 2-3 times faster with Dvorak now.
  3. macrumors regular

Jul 2, 2005
    Yes. I have converted the keyboards to all of my (personal) computers for the last fifteen years or more. The computers I buy for my lab/employees remain QWERTY, however.

QWERTY confuses me intellectually (always has); Dvorak seems to confuse those around me to the point that they are almost unwilling or unable to use my Dvorak-keyboard-bearing computers to look something up.