Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
since my typing sucks, it won't be very hard to relearn typing. i'm wondering if there are any that are completly capatible with macs, including the command button and the option button.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The letter keys on the current Apple keyboards are pretty easy to pop off and move around, and the shifted characters correspond pretty well with the US keycaps.

So, what you could do is enable the Dvorak layout in the International preferences, bring up the Key caps panel as a guide, pick up a US layout keyboard, get out a little screwdriver or paddle and get to prying (gently).

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
iMeowbot said:
The letter keys on the current Apple keyboards are pretty easy to pop off and move around, and the shifted characters correspond pretty well with the US keycaps.

So, what you could do is enable the Dvorak layout in the International preferences, bring up the Key caps panel as a guide, pick up a US layout keyboard, get out a little screwdriver or paddle and get to prying (gently).

Sounds like too much work for me....plus I would be sure to mix the keys up. :eek: :D

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
dmw007 said:
Sounds like too much work for me....plus I would be sure to mix the keys up. :eek: :D
Oh come on, 26 letters plus a few stragglers, you'd be done in a few minutes! If you want too much work, try to learn the Dvorak layout without rearranging the keycaps. :D

amphibious

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2005
Popping off the keys and moving them around is a terrible idea... I'm not sure about Apple keyboards (I prefer my old Keytronic Designer), but most keyboards' keys have different angles depending on what row they are on.

I would **highly** recommend the typematrix. You can get them with Qwerty labeling, Dvorak labeling, and both... they also have a convenient button to switch between the two (without having to change anything in software), also the matrix layout is vastly superior to the staggered design. Inexpensive, and the people that run the company are extremely friendly.

http://www.typematrix.com

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
amphibious said:
Popping off the keys and moving them around is a terrible idea... I'm not sure about Apple keyboards
So then how would you know that it's a terrible idea?
(I prefer my old Keytronic Designer), but most keyboards' keys have different angles depending on what row they are on.
Okay, then you simply haven't seen one and are making it up as you go along. On the current Apple keyboards under discussion, the switch bases are angled, and the keycaps do not differ by row.

timb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
I did it with my Apple Pro Keyboard and iBook a few years back. Worked fine, no issues at all. (Aside from the fact that you lose your Num-Pad lettering on the iBook.) Took me all of about 10 minutes on each keyboard to do. Just pop all the keys off, have a Dvorak diagram printed out or on screen and go to town.

-timb

dvorakibook.jpg

baudchan

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2007
Oregon
changing f to h and j to u for dvorak on ibook G4

I have an Ibook and found that I can't swap f and h, along with u and j. This is because the latch that holds them on is mirrored. How did you do it?

I did it with my Apple Pro Keyboard and iBook a few years back. Worked fine, no issues at all. (Aside from the fact that you lose your Num-Pad lettering on the iBook.) Took me all of about 10 minutes on each keyboard to do. Just pop all the keys off, have a Dvorak diagram printed out or on screen and go to town.

-timb

dvorakibook.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.