Dvorak Speaks His Wisdom

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Daveway, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

J.C. Dvorak our good ole pal wrote a great article about Windows Vista and how it could mark a downward spiral for Microsoft and a rising of Apple and linux.
    Clink

2. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

interesting, thank you :)

3. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I've always liked John. E-mailed back and forth with him a couple of times. He's coming around ;)

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

While I don't necessarily agree that Apple will open up Mac OS, I do agree that, if they did, their hardware sales would increase over current volume.

Thus far, Apple has shown no intent to open up Mac OS to run under anything but Apple hardware. If they make that bold move, after they complete the move to Intel architecture, I'm not sure their hardware market dies like many have postulated. Heck, people buy Sony PC's when they could buy cheaper Dell boxes, don't they? And they still run Windows, last time I checked.
    There will always be a market for nice high end hardware design, and nobody is doing that better than Apple these days. Sure, some of the current Mac market will migrate to cheaper boxes, but if Apple would potentially lose 30-50% of their current share and pick up a 5-10% stake in the larger market they are currently excluding themselves from, that's a win for them.
    Yes, Mac OS wouldn't run as stable or as secure on just any old config. And that's exactly why I would continue to buy Apple hardware, even if they do open it all up.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

I honestly don't get this guy. It's like he's got two or three personalities, or several ghost writers who completely disagree with each other.

One minute, he's writing something that makes a reasonable amount of sense, like this article commenting on the potential lameness of WinVista (or whatever it'll end up being abbreviated). The next he's spouting vitriolic anti-Apple rhetoric, and a minute later, he's commenting on some curren technological phenomenon from a perspective that's so amazingly uninformed you wonder if the sum total of his research is what is intern mentioned to him over coffee.

I'd cite links, but all you have to do is read over a few of his past columns, and it's pretty obvious.

Still, on this one case, I mostly agree with whichever personality is writing today.

6. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Already posted here

Jeez, is searching really that hard?

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Uh, this thread was at 2:14 am and the thread you refer to was started at 3:01 pm. Maybe you should look before you rant :cool:

8. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

*inserts foot firmly into mouth*

9. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Don't sweat it. I've suffered from hoof in mouth disease on these forums as well. Go and sin no more ;)

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Damn, I thought this thread was in reference to my favorite Czech composer... ;) :cool:

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Whenever Dvorak speaks, a horse somewhere starts looking very skinny. What is he on about? How does an x86 Mac figure into his analysis? A Google OS? Where? When? HOW? And since when has Microsoft ever delivered on what they promised? And since when has that ever really mattered?

Come on, Dvorak -- make an effort for a change. You've been coasting longer than you've been peddling.

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I agree completely. Dvorak is either a nutcase, or is a pseudonym being used by multiple writers.

13. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Actually, he is a real (that is, physical, legal) person. He used to be hard-core Mac, and in fact co-starred with Jean-Louis Gassee on an Apple Software Developer's CD dating to the early 1990s. There were some audio tracks on that CD and both J-L G and JCD spoke.

There's no question the man's nuts, and has been ever since I can remember. And that, my friends, is a long, d@mn way...