Dvorak strikes again!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveway, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Actually, I thought he made a few good points. The iPod is great, but it could be greater. Devices like these are going to be coming out and Apple will have to respond to it in some manner. The best part of the iPod is that it is not just and MP3 player. That is what this device is trying to do.

I think he said one very important thing in that Apple doesn't have to be first out of the gate here in order to dominate the market agian, but they do have figure out how to dominate the new market. I think that he is right in thinking that there will be some sort of iCinema (he said iMovies, but we all know it won't be called that) that will allow Apple to provide that added service that others won't be able to.

Just look at all they are doing with the new codecs in Quicktime and you can see that video that is high quality/small file size will be available and it will just be a matter of high speed internet adoption rates before the critical mass is there for it to be profitable.

I disagree with his assessment of next year being the year for these things (broadband adoption is not growing that quickly) but it will be very soon.

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i think one of the main reasons that video is getting held back off of computers is because people can't rip there dvd's that easily.

if there was a simple easy way to rip them quickly at a good rate i think it would be much more appealing, but until that happens i just don't think it will take off

edit (add): that and more harddrive space, but the harddrive space is slowly not becoming an issue.

also, i don't know if you guys read pc mag, but he is always saying GOOD things about apple in his articles, i know he owns and enjoys and ibook...

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

i like how he said they would move away from iTunes and come up with something that would be called "iMovie" that would play audio and video. :rolleyes:

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

We all know he meant an iMovie store.

6. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

The X2 has a lot of cool features I'd love to see implemented into an iPod. Can't wait for the day when we have a Pod thats a:
    •Music Player
    •Video Player
    •Photo Viewer
    •Portable HD
    •PDA
    •Cell Phone
    •AM/FM Radio (and Sirius)
    •Voice Recorder
    •Hi-Res. Still Camera
    •Hi Quality Video Camera
    •TV recorder
    •radio recorder
    •Gaming Device
    All rolled into 1.
    If anyone can ever do it right, its Apple.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I think it was a bit biased against apple and the iPod, but then again, I think I take anything criticial of apple a bit to zealously.

Some of those features would be nice in an iPod, if they can be worked in into the iPod scheme of quality and ease of use. I am sure once they are perfected, Apple will include them.

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

When I first saw the title, I thought it was about Antonín Dvorák (the r is supposed to have a little upside-down circumflex, but I can seem to get it to work right on the boards). I was a bit disappointed...

Anyway, the think that Dvorak is missing in his argument for devices like the one in the video is that people don't watch movies as they go through their day. You can put on an iPod in the subway or while jogging or whatever, but you can't watch a movie or a TV show. Songs are just about an acceptable length so that you can listen to them in any given space of time. Say you have a 45-minute trip to make. You can listen to about 15 songs. Or you could watch one and a half TV shows. You don't want to watch just a half a TV show.

Also, video just doesn't work the way music does. Video you have focus on. Music you don't really. You don't miss much if you get distracted for a minute.

P.S. Dvorak pronounces his name wrong. Well, really no one but a native Czech speaker can pronounce it right, but he can at least try. The best most westerners can do is dvôr´zhäk.

9. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

He does make some good points concerning the iPods future capabilities. As hard drives expand and LCD technology becomes ever cheaper the iVideo idea makes much more sense. But people watch to much TV already and the iPod allows you to have access to a large amount of music while doing other things that do not involve staring a screen. The XM/Sirius feature would be a boon in my opinion, especially as the iPod can be so easily plugged into existing audio sources that allow lots of people to listen. There are already portable DVD players though which could easily incorporate HDs to be used in a Tivo like manner. The problem is the size, and the current size of the iPod is great, but not for watching anything. That being the tradeoff, I think the iPod is better off expanding it's musical abilities through a radio function and maybe the XM/Sirius capability. I think eventually there will be products that do the same thing as the iPod while having video capabilities and then products like the iPod that focus more on the listening experience in order to maintain small dimensions. Though the iPod should have every facet of audio covered in order to stay on top of the pile.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If Dvorak knew what he was talking about, Apple should have gone out of business five, seven and ten years ago.

Apple didn't "outmarket" Sony et al when the iPod came out; they out-innovated.
    The iPod is so simple and easy to use, so functional and flexible within its focus that it's head and shoulders above and beyond anything before or since released in the music player realm.

No one has been able to out-innovate or outmarket the simple fact that Apple released a revolutionary product at the right time.

And Apple is right to be wary of making the iPod a digital swiss army knife.
    With everyone buying giant HDTV plasma televisions and 17" laptops, who the hell is going to want to watch a movie on a 3" screen? Do stores even sell those tiny 2" handheld TVs they used to?

11. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Maybe that's the thinking with all these companies that rent DVD via snail mail. Maybe a step further would be Renting a movie for a couple of nights, download it to your iMovie pod via the internet of while you're at a store somewhere, take it home watch it on yer big TV before the movie expires.

Security issues, but no more than the people who rip rented DVD anyway.

Just a thought.

12. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Too much crap that most people (the market) would never use.

It would be wrong even if Apple did do it right.

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Let's take out terminal from Mac OS X.

After all, most people don't use it.

Let's take away all browsers other than Internet Explorer, most people don't use them.

Just because something isn't used all the time doesn't mean it shouldn't be available. The truth is that Apple has a huge margin on a mediocre product. People rush out to buy them for the same reason they use Internet Explorer, it is what they hear about. It has become a cultural symbol. IE also is a cultural symbol in its own way, it just doesn't have the personality of the iPod.

So, I say good for Apple (but bad for consumers) for marketing the iPod so well, because when you compare it to other portable HD based mp3 players it barely even compares. Video capabilities can't hurt anyone.

I may sound anti-iPodish, but I'm really not. I want an iPod more than any other portable music player, because of its aesthetics, and because of what it represents in our culture and in my life. However, I am very reluctant to get on because of the lack of features and price.

scem0

14. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

He's a nice guy. The idea od being able to record your TV shows onto it is genius.

15. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

If done right people would certainly want it. Right now I typically carry around an iPod, phone, and sometimes my camera. It would be a godsend if they would just successfully combine those 3 things.

As for the people who criticize video capabilities, I think their being short sighted. How GREAT would it be to have your favorite movies and TV shows on your iPod with the ability to just connect it to a TV, anywhere you are, for viewing anytime you like.

I also forgot to mention that with all those capabilities it should also have WiFi.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Why don't Apple build a cell phone, video camera, tv show recorder, am/fm tuner with Sirius and gaming console into their Macs if it makes so much sense to turn a product into a Swiss army knife? Why don't Apple build these consumer electronics at all, let alone all-in-one?

Wrong, people use IE because it was coupled with and inseparably built into Windows.

Show me one other company that makes a music player that is so easy to use, so capacious and so innovative.

It'll kill battery life and add weight -- two things most people DO NOT want to see in their music player. It'd add video playback ability, somthing SOME people want to see in their music player.

Apple can't satisfy the fringe that would buy a video player at the cost of making suffer the majority who want to buy a dedicated music player.

If you had one, you'd understand. Mine is going on three years now, and still performs just as I want and need it to, even without the bells and whistles and bigger storage that the newer ones have.

17. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Oh, good god, please NO!

Read this (the Unix Philsophy) and please take special note of the following line:

Write programs that do one thing and do it well.

Forunately Apple seems to understands that this applies to more than just software.

18. i_am_a_cow macrumors regular

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

He can't type with his thumb up his ass anyway.

20. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

I got the origional iPod because i was looking for an MP3 player, and apple came out with a nice, spacious, and easy to use one. I only bought a 4th gen because my music library was starting to outgrow my iPod. I personally like it how it is. I have a phone for pone, a PDA as a date book, and an iPod for music, and a powerbook for video.(I cant watch a movie on anything smaller than 5 inches comfortably)

if you over pack a device, it becomes huge and hungry. the PSP is out, and some games will drain the battery in 90 minutes. it can play video, and do all this stuff, but whats the use if the thing dies that fast. but the DS is an inferior gaming system spec wise, but people prefer it for its simplicity and long life. they want a gaming system, not a media center.

21. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

That is just ridiculous. You are making comparisons to a completely different product. People buy Personal Computers to do everything plus everything else they haven't thought of yet. It is designed to be a development platform for anyone with the want and understanding to do so.

An iPod is successful for doing the one thing it is designed for, very well. Its success is measured by the huge number of people who buy it for that purpose.

If the iPod steps any further from this ideal, it takes another step toward the Mediocracy that is Gadgetdom.

22. unfaded macrumors 6502

Can we just acknowledge that he is a douche and move on with our lives?

If Apple was doing things wrong, the iPod wouldn't be this popular. Period. Dvorak is a douche.

23. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I think the point is, it would be foolish to believe that a product could not be improved, the two improvement camps are the Pro Swiss Army and anti Swiss Army.

As far as your opinion on the direction of my life, why don't you start another thread where you can offer this type of advice. Meanwhile on a thread discussing "Dorvak" and the development of the iPod, I think people should be allowed to move on when good and ready, regardless of their opinion on who is and isn't a douche.

Have you ever wondered if a discussion is a valid tool, even without a unanimous agreement on the information discussed?

:)

24. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

because it is not yet possible to do universally. currently cell phone tech is different in america and europe, and i believe in japan - the universal mobile telephone system is only just being adopted and it takes some time to be widely used standard. also, there are several different gaming consoles that use incompatible games. tv systems are different, etc.

for a swiss-army-knife-like device you will first have to establish standards.