Dvorak's Latest: Published 8/13

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by patrick0brien, Aug 13, 2003.

1. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

The Agony of Unresolved Standards

I'm a bit surprised with this one - I found it useful knowledge and not his usual biased dreck.

Not particularly biased until he slipped in..."How about giving us something stable, so we don't have to listen to the constant carping of those arrogant Mac users?"

Ah, Johnny boy. Those in glass houses...

We Mac users only react like this because we are aware we are a minority, and we are carped on a daily basis by uninformed ignoramus' (e.g. Lemmings) , like you come dangerously close to sounding.

"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge? " - William Shakespeare
  2. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It had a bit of anti-mac feeling to it, but it was more of a jealousy thing than an all out hate thing.

I think he might be a possible candidate for switching.

But he seems all the stupider, when he states that he wants a fix, states that windows is flawed, and then states that Macs work. If you put 2 and 2 together, you'll see that the Mac is the fix to his problems...

It's like that whole "I'm not buying a japanese car, because they're from Japan, and they're substandard..."

Well, my 12 year old Toyota truck is running fine, and my 2001 suburban, well, lets not go there...
  3. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    arrogance: [in part] "that species of pride which consists in exorbitant claims of rank, dignity, estimation, or power, or which exalts the worth or importance of the person to an undue degree"

Are our claims exorbitant? our exhaltations undue?
    Me thinks they're not so.
    So when I thumb my nose, MS users, I do, in fact, thumb it at thee!
  4. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

Apr 11, 2003
    i don't think he was being biased against mac users at all! in fact, i think the remark about "arrogant mac users" was a clever twist against the constant bloating (read fixing) of windows.

he spoke in the beginning of the article about ease of use and simplicity (often used interchangeably, but not necessarily here) concerning airport and scsi, praising apple and their applications of the technologies. then, in the end he brings back that idea but with a subtle flair and some sarcasm--why can't the windows world be more like that of those "arrogant mac users"? they're arrogant, but they have the right to be because their stuff works. i see the comment as a literary tool to tie the whole article together, keeping the theme of the article going.

i don't want to turn macrumors into "arn's geeky article/book club", but i just wanted to put in my take on the article. sometimes we (including me) mac folk seem to think everyone is out to get us or trying to shoot us down. but then again, "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't following you...." ;)

(btw, this is by no means a flame on you, patrick. i follow this site pretty closely and notice you always have an intelligent point or smart advice to give people. i just happen to disagree with your interpretation here!)
  5. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

Voiced disagreements is one of the elements to the accumulation of knowledge. And you did well - I took no offense at all.

After your comment, I reread the article and yes, it can be interpreted either way, a bias agains Macs, or a smack on Windows.

I lean to the side of bias only due to his past record.

However, G4scott has an interesting point too. He might be approaching "giving it a shot". He's even following a similar progression that David Coursey did - bias-> envy-> "what the hell".

I suppose we'll see.
  6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida
    I would have to say that it was pro mac. He bashed Windows on every level. From not working to updates etc, and said that Mac's just work.

Great article, I think.
  7. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The problem is, he's dug himself into a whole now bashing macs at every turn and now he's dragging his tail between his legs admitting that windows is held together by toothpicks and bubble gum.

Just like Rush Limbaugh, he is a fool that loves to hear himself speak.
  8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    Well, well, well, it seems Mr. Dvorak is coming around. We'll call it more balanced because it pays tribute to the Macintosh, which is refreshing.

But man, if Dvorak goes down this road, he's going to be out of a job. Publishing factual material instead of his usual incendiary sludge? Man-o-man, we're going to have nothing to flame him on!

But I can see it now:

White background. John C. Dvorak.

"Yeah, I used to use PCs, I was what you might call a 'PC junkie.' An advocate, even. But when I didn't have wireless support anywhere, even in the bowels of Hell that I call home, that was the last straw...
    "Hi, I'm John Dvorak and I'm a columnist."

Fade to small Apple logo.