Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
From Photo Rumors.com

http://photorumors.com/2015/06/16/t...has-1-sensor-and-attaches-to-your-smartphone/

It will be interesting to see the use case and what it's capable of. For the expected price point I'm not sure I'd be interested but it's good to see companies pushing and innovating and trying new things. Could it be revolutionary? Probably not. Will it force traditional camera companies and even mobile manufacturers to innovate? Maybe so. It will be cool to actually see what it really is.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Interesting. How's Sony doing with their iPhone cameras?

Wouldn't know. I've never used one. I'm not defending the capabilities or necessity of either. Just thought it was interesting to discuss. The DxO offering is a different form factor and it connects through the lightening port where the Sony is wireless and seems a bit bulkier. I have no idea what kind of IQ either are able to produce. My guess is Sony is not making a killing with there offering.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
For $600, you might as well carry around an older RX100.

Yep. This.

1" sensor is better than an iPhone, but it is still just a $600 point and shoot with good wifi integration (I realize it isn't using wifi, but compare that to what can be done over wifi).

You still carry and extra piece of hardware. You still charge an extra battery. You still have one focal length (33mm) .

I would rather carry a full camera with lenses. Also, I like physical controls for things I can change without taking my eyes off the action.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I dunno. Nice looking piece of kit, but still.

It's out now on their website. I thought it's interesting they seemed to pitch it as an alternative to a DSLR. But even though I'm a fan of touch controls, wifi integration, etc, it's another piece of hardware dependent on other hardware. I've got a drawer full of pre-lightning attachments to phones (well, maybe not that many) and I wouldn't wanna pay that amount of money for something that depends on the whims of Apple connectors.

But I like the looks of the app. Maybe they could sell it to other camera manufacturers for use with their wifi cameras.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I got the email about it yesterday and saw how I could pre-order that bad boy - the problem is its 600 bucks. I'm not sold such an add-on like that will capture the hearts and souls of photographers. Maybe at the 300 dollar range, I'd be more interested in trying it, but overall I think I'd rather have my OMD EM5 with me then that.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I didn't realize it has storage; that helps.

But I can't imagine using a lightning connector with an iPhone, much less the iPhone+. I've already stressed lightning cables, and it would be probably a matter of days before I bent that sucker. I'd be way happier if it had a couple of flanges for support or something.

And again, the app seems pretty cool. I still don't understand why camera companies aren't doing more with their existing wifi cameras and the iPhone for tethered shooting, even if the photos themselves stay in the camera's SD card. I have used an iPhone in my hotshoe for use with TriggerTrap and sometimes with the Panny or Oly iPhone apps to control my E-M10 or other camera; it's useful especially if you don't have an articulating rear screen. It could also be a way to get a touchscreen if your camera doesn't have one.

I've never used a lightning/usb camera adapter for tethered shooting with an app designed for that; Photos just treats it like a external drive rather than the photos being pushed for immediate viewing. Has that changed? is there an app that does that?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I really can't see how that connector is not going to get destroyed on day 1. It might work in the lab, it might be ok for the occasional short use. But then its too expensive for that. An idea that shouldn't have been allowed to escape the lab IMHO.

I just <hope> that the camera side of the connector fails first, it would really suck to have it take out the iPhone connector side, then you have no camera or phone...

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
600dollars for a prime lens? and it is all about megapixels and a sensor size, nothing about the key elements like optical quality of lenses. by that price you get a high quality prime lens for your dslr.

if i did understand it right, to get the better quality, you need to shoot with super-raw and then combining 4 files (by the software). so you cannot shoot any moving objects and better to use a tripod.

im interested in seing real life photos and how much does it offer for the price you pay.

Last edited:

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
http://photorumors.com/2015/06/30/o...camera-module-officially-announced-in-the-us/

And now Olympus is in the game. Looks just like the Sony offering. Either there is a market for these things or they are trying to create a market.

So....if your Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 had the D750 sensor inside of it and functioned this way and all you needed was your retina display smart phone to operate it (with 128gb of storage and everything else) would you put your DSLR body down? I realize it's probably physically impossible to shove all of that into the lens itself and it not be a bazooka tube but I'm just wondering where they are headed with this.

The Oly specs are not too shabby...better than a camera phone....probably not as good as a stand alone M43, DX or FF body. What's the market for these things? People who want the ultimate camera accessory for their iPhone?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
The Oly specs are not too shabby...better than a camera phone....probably not as good as a stand alone M43, DX or FF body. What's the market for these things? People who want the ultimate camera accessory for their iPhone?

The Oly AirO1 looks better IMHO than the DxO. It works without the connector issue (although be interesting to see if the viewfinder is faster with the DxO; doubt it) and it's cheaper even with a lens, although you gotta factor in lens quality. But it's huge, for us, that it can use any M43 lens or an adapted lens (and there are bazillions of those). Then sensor is basically the same as the E-M5, which is very good. No stabilization though.

It does seem an odd market. I love shooting macro and remotely (at least somewhat remote; can't go too far) with a wifi M43. I've seen the Air01 mounted at the end of a long tele on a tripod with a tablet mounted alongside as the viewfinder; very cool. And it would be nice for tethered shooting. I would think any of these would kinda stink for action shooting, both because of an EVF and the ergonomics. Especially the Air01 with a bigger lens. Unless you've got a camera sitting unmanned behind the goal operated remotely.

But those are all functions that an existing DSLR/M43 user would like. I just don't see that a smartphone user is gonna want to bother, especially since there are some killer ILC small cameras, or even P&S small cameras, that cost less and can work alone.

I think that what has to happen is a killer hardware feature (super small tele, drone-ish very remote control, Go Pro like video, weatherproofing, etc) combined with some killer apps (Lightroom-like organization within the smartphone with focus stacking, incredible time lapses, motion activation, and bunches of stuff we only do on desktops now, plus what we haven't thought of).

Maybe just a SIM slot in your camera...they do it cars, why not cameras? $10/mo for unlimited uploads via cell of all photos and messaging.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

Olympus has a good approach:
1 . not the same prime lens that the phone already has (choose the lens you want), all micro four thirds lenses works (even third parties)
2. working in ios and android
3. doesnt need to be attached to the phone
4. if the battery runs out, you can easily power it up with a usb recharger.
5. body is in a reasonable price range(?)
6. open for third party developers etc.
7. the thing might be great for macro photos

im waiting some one will do the same for the canon EF mount :D i have olympus at home, but i rarely use it and it has only couple budget price lenses, so as much as i want to get this to play with it, i dont think, im going to buy it. but if there was a ef mount :p

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
DxO just addressed these concerns.
Does that change anyone's thoughts or is it still just another accessory that you have to carry around with you?
That helps. But I note it's only in one plane. I can sorta see the benefit of using the lightning connector, but I would expect that most users are gonna rely on the in-camera storage anyway. Especially since one of the selling points is that they throw in their excellent desktop software. But I'd still get the Air01 over it, although it's unlikely I'd buy any of them to be honest.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I had a play with one today. The connector feels pretty good tbh. Sadly I didn't get to use the actual camera though due to a lack of time. I'll try tomorrow if my boss doesn't squirrel them away first!

RowdyYates

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
I had a play with one today. The connector feels pretty good tbh. Sadly I didn't get to use the actual camera though due to a lack of time. I'll try tomorrow if my boss doesn't squirrel them away first!
Look forward to hearing a report on your thoughts.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK

Ooh, yes, feedback please! I have to admit to being tempted by this little camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.