dying 15" powerbook 1.2ghz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jinny1, Apr 18, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Jun 1, 2004
    We have a situation where at any random time, any open application hangs into the beachball of death. Force quitting does not respond and we have to power down manually and restart.

An attempt to verify or repair permissions is met with the same fate.

I was thinking of reinstalling the OS and starting clean but can't find any documentation on how to do this, or if it would help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    Could be a dying hard drive.. backup your stuff fast..
  3. macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2006
    Jacksonville Beach
  4. macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Houston, Tx
    Back up your data quickly.
    Using the Grey restore CD/DVD that came with your computer you can Try an Archive and Install, which will reinstall the main components of the Operating System. That may fix the problem if its a Software issue.
  5. macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    What about RAM? If it's bad it could be paging and then give up? :confused:
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Jun 1, 2004
    It's about 2 years old with no apple care. Going to back up everything and try the archive/install. Is there any way to tell if the ram is failing?
  7. macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    Vermont, USA
    I'd also check system profiler to see if the pbook is "missing" any ram. My powerbook 1.25 GHz, slowed WAY down suddenly (many beach balls) and a faulty ram slot was to blame.

I'd check that and run disk utility. If those don't help it's always a good idea to create a new user account to see if the problems persist there.
  9. macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    If your hard drive is making "clicking" sounds along with the beach balls, BACK UP YOUR DATA NOW. You have a dying hard drive. If you're not getting the clicks, you should still back up your data, just in case, and try some of the other things listed here. Check to see if you're missing RAM (a la a bad RAM slot). Of course, if that's the case, you really don't have any recourse since you have no AppleCare—I believe the fix for a bad RAM slot is logic board replacement, and that is PRICEY when you're no longer in warranty. At least a dying hard drive (if you manage to back up your stuff) is cheap and relatively easy to replace yourself (with appropriate instructions).
  10. thread starter macrumors member

Jun 1, 2004
    thanks everyone, I'm gonna try some of these things and I'll let you know what works. There's no audible clicking as of yet, but backing up is priority #1 anyway.