dying electric, battery powered toothbrush

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Aug 13, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have a battery powered electric toothbrush...the kind that you have to plug in to get it charged up and the charge holds for several days...it's a braun

but now, the unit only charges up in the bedroom, but the outlet in the bathroom will not charge it up...the outlet in the bathroom still works though and it charged up my remington shaver

this seems strange

do different outlets in a house have different voltages or capabilities to charge batteries?

is the house wiring going? or is the darn electric toothbrush on the way out?

hope some gearheads can help me on this one:p

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Re: dying electric, battery powered toothbrush

The voltages should all be standard. You might have a wire about to break and only be getting partial voltage to the bathroom outlet.

All I can tell you is that something is screwy.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Re: dying electric, battery powered toothbrush

If the outlet in your bathroom is one that is tied to the light on/off switch it will mess up the battery of the toothbrush. It happened to my sonicare brand toothbrush.

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

thanks for the tips

so far, last night, i was able to charge up my shaver fully IN the bathroom

and the toothbrush charged up fully IN the bedroom

the toothbrush was unplugged and un-charged fully last week when we went on vacation

the fact that the shaver is charged and that the hair dryer also works from the bathroom outlets makes me think the wiring is ok there...it is three prong put into a house later...where the whole house, built in 1948, was all originally two prong outlets

i think the toothbrush is intermitent (sp?) and perhaps getting old (it's two years old)

does this sound right?

5. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Ya know you can buy a 5 dollar crest battery powered toothbrush too....and its not a fricking boat motor in your mouth like the sonicare and braun ones are :( :D

6. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i had a sonicare once but the guys who were working on my house hit the wall so hard while putting in a new window that it knocked it out of the medicine cabinet and onto the floor breaking it and rendering it useless for all motorized dental activity. i accentuate the "motorized" part because technically it still works as a toothbrush though now it is just a manual toothbrush with a very large and heavy handle.

so my question is...should i take the battery out of it so it is lighter and just make the motor noise myself as i brush my teeth or should i just use the new purple toothbrush my wife put in the medicine cabinet for me?

7. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I would take the battery out and make the motor noise. After all, you payed good money for a motorized tooth brush and should at least be able to pretend it works.

Better yet, use the new purple toothbrush and make make motor noises with that. ;)

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Forget both of the toothbrushes and just make the motor noise. It's a lot more fun. :p