dying pbook G3s and TiBook heat

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by conceptdev, Nov 17, 2002.

1. conceptdev macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2002
    My fiance's Pismo has suddenly refused to recognize the HD. I have tried the apple care cd and all of its tools to no avail, the disk seems unmountable is there anyway I could go about recovering the files on the HD before initializing or replacing it? Secondly my Lombard running 10.2 is dying a slow death, it often completely freezes, refuses to boot or takes 10 minutes and up to boot despite maxed out ram, oh and the keyboard is no longer functioning. Is the Lombard salvageable, and if so is it worth it?

On a side note I have ordered a TiBook 1Ghz to replace a Dual 1Ghz and then a Dual 867 Pmac (both due to unresolvable kernel panic issues). Are the heat issues with the TiBook enough to warrant the purchase of some sort of cooling system and would said system net and sort of performance improvement?

Thank you for dealing with so many queries.
  2. Falleron macrumors 68000

Nov 22, 2001
    You may want to try Norton Utilities to try and fix the HD. I have had major problems with HD's before + Norton has sorted things out for me. Worth a try at least if you have the software.

Have not heard of any problems with heat with the new 1Ghz TiBook.
  3. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial
    1. Try Disk FirstAid if you haven't already. It's better than most people think, and can occasionally undo damage that other programs do. Other than that, go with Norton. If that doesn't work, use FW TDM to get the data off. If that won't work, and you need the data on it badly enough, call Drive Savers. Oh yeah, one intermediary step: try and take the HD out, and either put it in another computer, or put another in the Pismo, to make sure it's actually the drive, and not the computer.

2. Try the above steps for the Lombard, where applicable, except try defragging the drive first. Beyond that, no, it's not salvageable.

3. If heat was an issue, Apple would have included a batter cooling system. Don't worry about it and have fun with it.
  4. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    If Norton doesn't fix it...
    Reset the PRAM and the Power Manager. Hold in on the reset button on the back for at least ten seconds. That sometimes works. At one point my TiBook stopped recognizing the internal HD completely. Not even Norton knew it was there. Doing the above brought it back.