Dying Rural Communities and Technology

Discussion in 'Community' started by jimjiminyjim, Apr 16, 2005.

1. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

I'm looking for insight into the uses of current and emerging technologies to save rural communities from many of the losses they suffer: people leaving for the cities, schools being shut down so that kids can be sent to bigger schools, small businesses being shut down due to competition from big box stores in neighboring communities, separation from other families as farms get bigger, etc.

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Right now, I've limited my thought to the uses of cell phones and email (of which limited access is still an issue), but they can only address some of the issues.

How does this get on the macrumors forum? Since Mac people are usually forward-thinking people, and since they tend to stay on top of emerging technologies and use them, and since they (you) are usually creative and imaginative, what better place to ask?

Thanks in advance,
    Jim.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I live in a small (4000 inhabitant) town in Southeast PA. (I know the definition of rural is a place with fewer than 2500 people, but I think we're a pretty small town.) Recently, to attract hi-tech industry, my town installed fiber-optic internet lines throughout the borough. This had a big effect on residents, but no new businesses have moved in. Interesting, considering that we're 17 miles from Allentown, PA and Reading, PA.