Dyspraxia

Discussion in 'Community' started by Switzermac, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Switzermac macrumors regular

I am so clumsy and i did a search and found this web page http://www.pointofdyspraxia.org/ it seems its something similar to dyslexia which i have a friend who has. Do any of you have it? I think i may have it.

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

So is it basically clumsyness? That is what it sounds like.

I'm going to thank my parents for not giving me that :). I've always been a pretty lithe individual, being a very amateur gymnast and a very very amateur juggler.

scem0

3. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Interesting that the Apple dictionary leads to Apraxia which is a form of brain damage.

I actually think clumsiness is due mainly to a lack of hand-eye co-ordinated sports. People I know that are generally clumsy play little to no sports and don't really focus when they do. They just say "oh I am too clumsy" and gave up which always disheartens me.

Sure some people could have genetic problems which limit their nervous system in such a way that they become slower and therefore clumsy but that must be quite a small part of the population.

4. Switzermac thread starter macrumors regular

5. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i have a problem with my eyes that limits my depth perception, as a result i play little to no ball sports, and when i do i still cant catch/hit/whatever that damn ball/whatever. it it not simply laziness that contributes to clumsiness.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

interesting....... a little believable too perhaps.....

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have always tended to be clumsy and accident prone. Just seems that I never got out of the developmental phase. I have attributed it to my height. Also as mentioned by mj_1903, a lack of eye hand coordination.

8. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    i dunno... i always feel clumsy but i have perfectly fine hand-eye coordination (well as far as I can tell). But I'm often tripping on things, but I almost never fall. And I frequently bump into things like the corner of a wall or something... wait a minute... maybe I have bad foot-eye coordination.

Anyway, there is more to Dyspraxia than just clumsiness. I have read up on it before and I do think I might have a minor case of it. One thing it said is that it does run in families, and I noticed my mom has a lot of the symptoms as well. Here's a list of possible symptoms

9. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Height -- too tall or too short?

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

tall :). I don't remember just how tall wdlove is, but he is very tall.

I wonder if there is an equivalent for oral clumsiness, but I have a lot of trouble putting my sentences together when I speak to a single person. Amazingly enough, I am fine in front of big groups, but when I talk to one person (only people I don't know) or small groups of people I don't know, I fumble over my words. I think they call it being shy :).

scem0

11. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    :) Yeah.

I know that I was clumsy growing up but a lot of that was just growing big and growing fast. Towards the end of high school I started getting dexterity.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's a little hard (if not impossible) for us to tell if you are clumsy via a Forum ...

However, it is a lot easier to diagnose social immaturity via this medium.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This is ridiculous. Now they have a word for people who are very clumsy? Some people are just more clumsy than others. Do we say that people who are much less clumsy than the average person are abnormal as well?

I believe this is nothing. Its a characteristic of a person rather than a disability.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm currently 6' 8" or 80" tall. I was tall all during my childhood. Lucky for my parent I grew at a slow and steady pace. Clothing would last me the entire school year.

The list of symptoms posted by wrc fan above, I could certainly answer yes to the majority.

15. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I answered yes to 73% of them :eek:

If you look at the symptoms it's actually more than just being clumsy. It also relates to your social interactions, emotion, speaking, viewing skills, listening skills, learning skills, memory, etc. It's a lot more than just being clumsy and you don't even have to be particularly clumsy to still have the majority of the symptoms.