E-mail archive in Mail.app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vistago, May 13, 2005.

1. vistago macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2004

I like the way that GMail manages e-mail. It allows you to have an "archived" copy of all of your e-mail for usage in the future. I thought that as I am switching to Mail it would be great if spotlight would let me do the same thing. So, I created a folder called Archive and then created a rule to put a copy of each e-mail into the folder. This works great, and spotlight finds the e-mail.

I have three problems however, and I would like to know if Applescript or something can help me solve them - and if someone could direct me in how to do this.

1) When it makes the copy, the message that it puts in the Archive folder is marked as unread. This means that every time I get a new e-mail, I effectivly have to read it twice, or click on the folder and mark it as read.

2) If I do a spotlight search for something that is in my inbox, i get two copies of the message (obviously). So, it would be cool if I could apply this "rule" after deleteting a message out of the inbox.

3) I obviously don't want to archive junk mail. The solution to problem 1 should solve this.

Anyone have any ideas?
  2. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
    If your running Tiger and using Mail 2.0 you could create a smart folder for all unread mails and use that as your inbox. Once you read the mails there, they will be marked as read in all subfolders.

Again if your running Tiger, you can work around this by not copying the message but by moving it. Again, the smart folder for unread mail will group all your mails that are unread at which point you could read them and they would of course be marked as read.

Create a rule that deletes all the messages where the content is junk. It should automatically delete your junk messages in your inbox and archive.

I'm sure there probably is a more elegant apple script or maybe for Tiger users an automator action but I'm not aware of any.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Wait, vistago, I'm confused...why do you need a second copy of the e-mail as an archive? Why can't you just use the first copy? What I do, and what people have done for years in Outlook and Mail.app, is to create offline folders (the On My Mac kind in Mail), and move e-mails from the inbox to there when you're done with them. Otherwise, you will have two copies of each mail, or delete the first copy, and this sounds like it would be kinda insane.
  4. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
    I'm assuming his archive folder is offline. The copy rule automatically puts the message into your archive while still leaving the message in your inbox. So all he has to do is delete the one in his inbox and not move it to the archive because its already there. However, the copy in the archive is marked unread, because well he hasn't read it yet, and thats annoying.
    Another option is to make a rule to mark everything that comes in as unread, but that will only be helpful if you only keep recent emails or delete the emails you already read in your inbox so that you only have unread messages in the inbox.
  5. vistago thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2004
    Some great suggestions so far...

Is there any way that I could get spotlight to search the trash?