E-mail button question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xyphr3, Sep 9, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Jul 19, 2010
    The button at the bottom, in the middle with the arrow pointing down into the box, what does it do? I can't find my e-mails anywhere after I press it and the manual does not tell me what it does. Thanks for anyones help.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors newbie

Oct 8, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Had no idea that button was there until I read your post. Picked up my phone and opened my mail. There it was. Pushed the button and swoooosh my e-mail was gone and have no idea where it went.

So now, like you, would like to know what this is and where the mail goes.

EDIT: I think it's the trash!
  3. macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Well the button on my phone looks a little different, but it is the "trash" :eek:

4. macrumors 6502

Dec 6, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    I just did the same thing. It must be some kind of permanent delete because the e-mail I deleted wasn't even in the trash folder. Also, it only shows up on my g-mail accounts but on my AOL account a trash can is there instead.
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Jul 19, 2010
    I have the trash button when I go to all mail. I was thinking trash too but the e-mails are not in my trash folder.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2010
  7. macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Ok, at first I couldnt find this icon in any of my mail accounts. Not even Gmail (I have three). I do not have "archive messages" turned on. I turned "archive messages on for one of my gmail accounts and poof that icon appeared.... Seems this is for archiving and in the settings page it says it saves them in an "all Mail Folder"..... meh turn it off!

Edit: And sure enough the mail is in the all mail folder in the indivdual accounts..
  8. macrumors newbie

Sep 29, 2010
    Victoria BC
    what does this button do??

yes same problem here. I use it with a gmail account and I keep losing messages by accidentally hitting the button. Very happy with my iphone but this is crazy...it's like a disguised version of the Big Red Button you never push.
  9. macrumors demi-god

Sep 30, 2008
    To delete the archive icon and put back the delete icon,
    Go to settings, mail, gmail, then turn archive messages off.
  10. macrumors 65816

Mr Kram

Oct 1, 2008
    That is the archive button. When you archive a message, it goes into the "all ail" folder. Get out of your inbox and you can find the folder in your gmail account page.
  11. macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2010
    the button in mail with the box and arrow pointing down is basically archive button. this should typically appear when your configured using imap. you can find your lost mail in the "ALL MAIL" folder listed within your gmail account folders.. Best wishes!!!:)