E Mail Fillter

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rory Manton, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Rory Manton macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Is it possable to set upan email filter that only lets things through if it contains my email address correctly spelt?

:confused:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm not sure what you're asking. If your e-mail address is misspelled, it won't get through to you anyway, as your ISP won't match it to your address.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I would imagine it'd be pretty easy. Have you tried something like this:

If [email address] [equals] you@youraddress.com
    Then place in [inbox]
    Else place in [Junk mail]

or...

Else [delete]

I don't know what client you're running, so I can't quote it exactly, but it'll be something like that, I would imagine.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I've gotten a ton of emails to my hotmail account that never contained "tobefirst," just a bunch of things similar to tobefirst.

5. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

That's your problem. You're using the number one SPAMed email client out there. That's weird that you're getting emails that are not addressed to you specifically. I've never had that.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Okay, but those are also addressed to you. Maybe in a BCC field that you can't see, but your address is in there somewhere or it's through an aliased mailing list somehow. My point is that using the actual address is not really a good way of determining whether or not the message is real. You'd have to set up filters that would check the To, CC, and BCC fields for your address, but that would still not let any mailing lists you're subscribed to get messages through.

The best way of avoiding spam is to use an ISP or e-mail client (or both) that have spam-filtering tools built into the software.

7. Rory Manton thread starter macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Thanks for the reply. As a matter of intressed I get at least 100/120 spam emails a day that are not addressed to me, something in the name part of the address is similer to my propper address. This is the amount of stuff that makes it through the spam filters.