E-Mail Question for Mac Newbie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Porscheboy16, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Porscheboy16 macrumors member

Hi guys, last night I ordered my first MacBook. I am looking forward to the transition from Windows:)

Specs:
    WhiteBook 2.0 GigHz
    80 Gig Ram
    2 Gig RAM (3rd Party Ordered)

With my new Mac, I am looking for an email program that can do the following:

I have many email accounts for a variety of reasons (work, personal, uni, etc.). Let's say I have a Uni email, a Gmail, and a Yahoo account. Is there a program that can have all three loaded (and possibly tabbed)? Like I could just click to check each inbox with one program? Thanks guys. It should be delivered by August 17.

2. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

i use apple's Mail.app program to check my gmail and yahoo account

i just press "Get Mail", and it checks both mailboxes

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i would say "YES"
    either mail.app or thunderbird

4. Porscheboy16 thread starter macrumors member

Is there a guide or tutorial to tell me how to do this?

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Just follow Apple's help guide for setting up accounts. Make a new account for each email address you have. Once they are set all messages will show up in the same inbox or if you want them separated you click the little triangle that will appear next to the inbox and it will expand showing sub folders for each account.

I know that gmail at least has detailed instructions for how to set up Mac Mail to check your gmail account. When logged into gmail check the help files and you should find it (you are looking for POP access).

6. Porscheboy16 thread starter macrumors member

7. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Other helpful hints:

HTTPMail is a plugin that will give you access to Hotmail via Mail.app, and works for most users even if they don't have POP/IMAP access to their Hotmail

MacFreePOPs is another tool that will allow many services that only have web interfaces to be accessed via Mail.app or Thunderbird or whatever you want.

GMail is a little goofy. This might not affect you, but you should know about it. POP access on one computer + web access is fine, but POP access on multiple computers is usually a no-no. It will usually only let one computer download a new message, regardless of settings, and also it will completely ignore your mail program's requests to delete messages. This is all to do with the way GMail implements POP -- it does the same weird stuff to Outlook. On the plus side, when you send mail via the GMail web interface, you get a copy of the sent mail in your inbox (so you can make a Rule to move it to join the rest of your sent mail). So one computer + web access works very nicely on GMail.

Hope that all helps. :)

EDIT: Fixed link. :eek:

9. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Uh, HTTPMAIL doesn't work, I use MSN premium on my Windows machine, and would Love to have it on Mac, but we know that isn't gonna happen. So MAIL is my only choice, but that HTTPMAIL leads to a "Site Not Found".

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry -- it got lost in the typing. Here it is:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18189

If it doesn't work for you, try MacFreePOPs instead -- but it works on my Hotmail account.

11. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

it's really easy and you should have no problems. just take your time and read what's given.

12. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I've tried this, and it doesn't work. I created an account, becuase I ran the installer before, and it couldn't open the prefrences. So, I created an accouint, the close Mail, then ran the installer, went back into mail, created a new account, and no new options, no httpmail, nothing. So I did the installer manually, opening terminal and it is still not working.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you using an Intel Mac? It doesn't appear to be compatible with Mail.app / Intel at present -- although apparently it works if you run Mail.app through Rosetta (this is discussed in the comments on the VersionTracker page).

If you're not, I'm using 1.48 on a G4/800... Look in your ~/library/mail/ -- you should have a bundles folder and/or something like a bundles (inactive) folder. If you have the latter, delete it and try re-installing HTTPMail. If you have the former, try deleting the HTTPMail folder inside it and then re-installing.

EDIT: Sorry --- this clearly has implications for the original poster. To the original poster, may want to stick with MacFreePOPs instead, if you use HotMail....

14. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

15. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

How did you fit 80 GB of ram into your macbook:p ;).... darn the must be crazy FAST

16. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

OK gang, I'm w/bro n law.

how does one set up the yahoo pull?
    We guessed it is a POP account and for incoming server we typed mail.yahoo.com
    What did we screw up?

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Unless you are paying for Yahoo's premium service, you can't do this. If you do, then the instructions are in the Yahoo Mail account settings section.

Otherwise, the major option I know about is to download MacFreePOPs -- it acts like a server that runs on your computer as an interlayer. It parses the HTML of Yahoo to extract your mails and acts as a POP server to pass them to your mail application. There's a link a few replies above.